Fire Wire now at William-Sonoma

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
Yesterday I picked up some Fire Wire grilling skewers at William-Sonoma and I can’t wait to throw them on my grill. They have packs of 4 for $19.99 so I purchased 2 packs. That give me 8 Fire Wire skewers which should do for now. My plan is to use all 8 skewers this weekend and if they work like I expect I will get more. You can never have too much of a good thing-especially when cooking large amounts of food. I am big on cooking up a bunch of meat on the weekend and then vacuum-sealing them in dinner size portions for thru the week. Now with the Fire Wire I can grill up a bunch of meat and different veggies and freeze away.
Has anybody else here used them yet?

Steve,

I haven't used 'em yet, but have seen a few posts from folks who have bought them and been pleased. I don't do much "skewer" cooking, but I'm thinking having a set of these might change that. I'm giving them serious thought.

Steve, let us know what you think of them, maybe some pictures too. I bought a few on some on-line sale months ago and they've sat in my drawer ever since. Need to break them in someday.

I've got a question about something someone posted on the YouTube vid of the Fire Wires.

What about the spiked ends that get hung off the sides? They get 'contaminated' when pierced through meat. I thought you'd drop them inside on the grill as well but every illustration shows them hanging outside. Do they get washed before you take them out to the grill?

Good question Travis, I would want them to be inside the grill as well.

Every photo also shows the veggies mixed with meat on the skewers. They look very pretty that way but what I find works better is to make up individual skewers of one item. I can control the heat and cooking time for a single product better.

When I'm done cooking all the skewers are loaded onto a big platter. That way people only take the items they like.

Presentation on the platter is still very pretty.

On the inside of the FireWire box are printed instructions to first place the straight end directly on the grate and allow to heat to 170 (IIRC)degrees and then place the straight end over the side of the grill. This obviously was an afterthought when the revelation that the prong would be contaminated with the insertion of the raw meat. I just leave the whole Firewire on the grate for the entire cook and turn and remove wearing my BBQ Guru gloves. Works for me.

Jim you are suppose to remove the food from the FireWire Before you bite down on it.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Jim you are suppose to remove the food from the FireWire Before you bite down on it.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know Steve!
I used it as a wire saw to cut some smoke wood
smiley-chores017.gif

What's your luck been turning the skewers so far? I have a set I haven't tried yet, but the latest Cooks Illustrated didn't give them a good write up.

-M

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m raschko:
What's your luck been turning the skewers so far? -M </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They're GREAT! Easy to use.

They are getting these things out all over the place. I saw some at Ace Hardware and at a local grocery store. Can't wait to use them. Looks like a great idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
...and in the event your Fire Wire® skewer breaks, do not hesitate to send back the defective skewer for a replacement.
Fire Wire® has a lifetime guarantee and a customer service department equal to Weber-Stephen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>UPDATE: I received a two-pack of Fire Wire® skewers on Wednesday, only two days after sending an email to Fire Wire®.
Talk about good customer service.....
icon_smile.gif

Back