How do you light your Weber Chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Calhoun

TVWBB Fan
Just curious how most of you folks light your Weber Chimney? I've followed the Weber instructions by using two sheets of newspaper. This method leaves lots of newspaper ash on top of my grate though. How do you light your Chimney?

When I am at home, I usually use the sideburner on my gasser. If I am NOT at home, I use a weber parafin charcoal lighter on a piece of tin foil - much less ash.

others report success (little ash) with some "paper" torn off the charcoal bag

I too use the Weber cubes. I only use one cube per chimney (unless I'm really in a hurry) and it works like a charm. I picked-up several boxes for $2.29 per box (24 cubes). Can't beat the price or the convenience.

I use a can of wick chafer fuel for 5 minutes under a chimney holding about 15 to 20 briquets (might have to adjust for height). Then I pull it from underneath, blow it out, and cap it. I then let the rest of the chimney light fully from the coals that are lit in the bottom of the chimney, usually 15 minutes, occasionally 20 minutes longer. The wick chafer fuel will last for a loooong time, many fire starts.

For a modified Minion start, I set the can of wick chafer fuel on top of the briquets in a full or partially full charcoal ring, light it, and set the chimney (with 15 to 20 briquets in it) on top of the wick and proceed as above. Once the whole chimney gets going, some of the coals in the charcoal ring have begun to light. I scatter the coals from the chimney over the rest of the charcoal ring. This method gets the Minion start going a little faster, but not enough to overshoot temperatures.

Rita

Thanks for all the great replies. Here's a youtube video using the newspaper method. Did he pour out the coals out too soon? It looked like some of the coals were not ashed over yet. I tend to keep the fire going longer in the chimney but perhaps this is a better method?

Chimney Starter

Does anything top this method?
icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SolZzjqLAlY

I was using my propane starter on my Performer until it went south on me. Have been saving and using my charcoal bags until I fix my ignitor on the "P". A whole lot less ash than newspaper and quick to light up.

I use a plumbers torch. Once the pit is going (and I need more fuel) I take four or five coals out of the pit and put them on the bottom of the chimney and put fresh charcoal/lump on top.

A second propane torch user here. The trigger igniter makes it very easy to use, only takes about a minute to get a couple of coals started and no newspaper ash to deal with.

Weber cube or the side burner of the gasser. The paper towel with veg oil works great also when I have no cubes or don't feel like taking the cover off the Gold D.
icon_smile.gif

The side burner of the gasser works GREAT! 5 minutes, then off to a safe place.

I believe the fastest on record was in a competition amongst a bunch of Univ. Indiana Physics profs....0.2 seconds...they used liquid O2....it melted the cheap grill
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
Where do ya'll buy the Weber cubes? I must admit I've never seen them around before.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Any authorized Weber distributor will probably have them; IIRC you can get a list of local distributors from Weber's website. My local True Value hardware store carries a number of Weber products but a different brand of fire starter, though.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back