Which to buy - new or used old model

Kent Ruehter

I don't currently have a WSM, but have been wanting to buy one for a while. I've been waiting to buy a 22" 2009 model. Today, however, I found someone selling 2 18" older models for $75 each. One is 3 years old, the other is 5 years old. So, here is the question. If I can save $250 and buy two older models, should I go that route, or is the new 22" really worth that much more?

If the used WSMs are in good shape, I would jump all over two for $75 each. If you decide later on that you want the 22", you can always sell one or both for more than that. That's a really good price.

if your into cooking turkey on the WSM the 22 is a good deal. i have to buy real small turkey to fit the 18. but 75$ for two 18" is a smashing deal.

oh, i have a 18 and a 22. i use the 18 for ribs and chicken the 22 i use for turkey and brisket.

$75 is a good deal to get up and running smoking. Two 18" models though don't equal a 22". As has been pointed out, you can't put some larger cuts of meat on a 18" very well. Personally, the main thing that attracts me to a 22" is that I could lay some ribs flat (whole slabs). You can't do that with an 18" WSM. Having said that, I'm cheap. There's no way I could justify in my head to get a 22" model if I could get an 18" for $75.

If I were you (and assuming you've got room for two WSM'S) I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat! Granted that the 22 will hold a lot more food than an 18, I know in my case I'd rarely need the extra size. Cooking most of the time on an 18, and having a second 18 to bring on-line when cooking for a crowd, would be ideal. And at $75 each, I don't think you can go wrong. As Pat McCreight said, you could easily sell one or both later on.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

(Not to mention how much meat you could buy with the money you save!)

I don't know where you're at but if you hemmed and hawed for even 15 minutes re: 2 WSM's @ $75 on Denver CO Craigslist they would be GONE

Kent, I have yet to purchase a WSM. Did you purchase both of them? Are they is good condition? For $75, I would be very interested in grabbing one of them.

Is either still available? If so, shoot me a PM to make arrangements.

Thanks,
Merrill

Back