22.5" WSM Question

Patrick Smith

Whats the cooking capacity of the 22.5? How many chickens could I cook on it at once? I don't have a weber I am looking into getting one though.

depends on how you prapair them. roguhgly if you spatchcock them like i do i would say a rough guess around 12 to 15 maybe more maybe less depedning on bird sizes. roasting em whole maybe 20ish.

just a rough guess.

I also spatchcock most of my birds. While I have done two on a rack, you can probably fit 4 on each rack for a total of 8. You need to leave some space between the birds and I don't like to have the bird hanging out past the water pan as the direct heat will result in uneven cooking.

Now last week I finished off about 35 thighs after smoking in my Backwoods on the top rack.

I have also done close to 40 wings on just one rack.

Dan

Hi Chris

About your Test cook #4 and #5 with the 22.5, have you learned how to keep the temp up to 225-250 for the full time needed? There's lots of threads on overnight cooks but not much info on the 22.5, which seems to be a slightly different beast when it comes to fuel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay S:
...have you learned how to keep the temp up to 225-250 for the full time needed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No, but only because I've not been cooking on the 22-1/2" lately. The 18-1/2" fits my needs most all of the time.

Regards,
Chris

Jay,I have done overnighters on my 22" using the DIGIQ II and the fuel tends to run out after about 18 hours, but I am still able to keep her at 225* until I hit the 18 hour mark. There is just too much area to bring up to and maintain at the desired heat temps (only heat to 225*) to go much past that amount of time. Still love cooking on it though. The 18" that I had I was able to maintain 225* for 27 hours, but rarely needed that many hours to finish a cook.

Thank you for all the replies, and the pictures were an amazing help. Its just hard to try and imagine how large/small something is without being able to stand in front of it.

With that said I went to a hardware store in my area and got the last 22.5" they had and put it together last night. All I can say is WOW! This sucker is bigger than I ever imagined and its oh so beautiful. I can't wait to fire it up after work today and play around with the vents to get a feel for it.

Back