Plastic Milk Jugs, gotta love 'em!

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
As a Baby Boomer I can remember when milk only came in a glass jug, or wax coated carton.
I always hated getting a piece of wax with my slug of cow juice
icon_frown.gif

The plastic jug came along, and was a wonderment to the whole family!
We saved them by the dozens, but mainly used them for camp water containers.

Or for hand washing.
Just poke a small hole near the bottom and plug it with a golf tee.
The small trickle, when you pull the tee, will clean many hands.

We had 1.5 inches of rain yesterday, and my WSM was uncovered.
A half gallon jug made a perfect scoop, it only left about a tablespoon of water in the bottom:
IMGP4287.JPG

Anyone have other uses?

WHY did I not think of this.

We use 1 gallon jugs of water to make coffee & gatorade mix, so I always have them laying around.

My WSMs have been spoiled; they have always been garage kept. Well, bought a house and no longer have a garage, but between the covers, trash bags, and the eve they are under, they have stayed dry. That all ended for the 22 on Monday when I made 50 abts and went to a party. Huge downpour. Went to clean it out Tuesday night, another downpour. Finally Wednesday night had the first time pleasure of dealing with your above pic.

As for your original question, fill them up 2/3 worth of water and freeze them. Throw them in coolers with some ice and your ice will keep for a long time. Also work well to keep foods cool in a cooler. And also helps your freezer to work less and stay frozen if the power goes out. Great part about them is if you need extra room in a freezer, you pull them out and refreeze later.

I've been using one for years cut just like you did to remove ashes from my older Weber kettle. It's the old style kettle with 3 round vents at the bottom - the days before the "one touch" system came along.

Wow, Great ideas for milk jugs!

Bob, this might be a silly question, but wouldn't it have been easier to just dump out the water? That's what I did when I had that problem once but I have plenty of places to dump it without making an eyesore of my yard. Maybe your situation is different.

I make iced tea & lemonade for parties in washed gallon milk jugs, and I also use them in the freezer/cooler to help keep things cold.

I really like the pinhole/golf tee idea for washing hands. This would really come in handy for camping or cooking away from home when you can't get to a sink. Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

Ah, I do feel the love for the jug!

I forgot about the space filler trick in a freezer, even though I have some in ours now.
And, in case of an emergency, they can be thawed for the water.

A.J., I have an elevated deck and the water/gunk would have sloshed out the vents if I had moved or carried it.
More than half of the water was already scooped out when the pic was taken.

My favorite must be to freeze big chunks of ice.

Then use a hammer to make em a little smaller and cool down some beer for a "outside afternoon"

Not really the best pic. Alot of the ice melted but its serving as cold water under the beers.

I have a couple around to use as growlers for taking homebrew places. Also use to freeze for ice when I run my recirc pump with plate chiller for cooling wort.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
My favorite must be to freeze big chunks of ice.

Then use a hammer to make em a little smaller and cool down some beer for a "outside afternoon"

Great idea. I was just saying to my wife how pricey keeping beer on the patio is getting the past two weekends with ice at $3.99 for 20 lbs at the beer store. I went through 50 lbs last weekend and 20 lbs this weekend. I can probably get away with less with a couple large blocks and some water in the cooler. I'll have to start saving some jugs and making my own.

Originally posted by Stuart S:
Up north our milk comes from the store like this:

bagged.jpg

Doesn't really work the same way...

And don't forget to mention that a bag like that would cost around $5 compared to those gallon jugs you find in the USA for $2.
icon_eek.gif

Is there a teat on the bottom to remove the milk without spilling it?
icon_smile.gif

Dom,
We're up to about $3.50 or so a gallon, about the same as petrol here in the Midwest.

Last time I shopped across the border (Buffalo,NY) Target had milk on for $2.10 a jug. Only thing is that those jugs take up a lot of room in the fridge. The bags we over pay for up here are more compact.....but you don't get a fancy scooper.

Sorry if this is getting off topic but....

Bagged milk?!? Is that true?

How the heck do you pour yourself a glass out of a bag?

You need a milk container that holds the bag straight up and then you cut a small hole at the corner.
I know its dumb. The only good thing is that it takes up less room in your fridge compared to the gallon jugs.

<span class="flash-video"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
style="height: 390px; width: 640px"
><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="never"
></param><param name="wmode"
value="transparent"
></param><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtQ1ahZmWIg?version=3"
name="movie"
/><param value="true"
/><param value="always"
/><embed wmode="transparent"
allowScriptAccess="never"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
height="390"
width="640"
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtQ1ahZmWIg?version=3"
/></object></span>

OK, so the corner is cut, leaving the bag open. Does one leave milk uncovered in the fridge, allowing it to absorb refrigerator odors, or does one seal it with a clothespin?

Rita

Back