Neelys Memphis-Style Smoked Beef and Pork Ribs

Chris Notarpole

TVWBB Member
This is off the food network new series the Neely's. They own Interstate BBQ.....

Neely's Dry Rub:
1 1/2 cups paprika
3/4 sugar
3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder

2 (about 4 pounds each) slabs beef spareribs
2 (about 3 pounds each) slabs pork spareribs
2 cups Neely's BBQ Dry Rub
Neely's BBQ Sauce, recipe follows

For the rub:

Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

For the ribs:

Rinse and dry ribs. Place on a clean cutting board and pull off the membrane, the thin fatty skin that lines the underside of the ribs. Trim the ribs of excess fat and meat. Liberally season both sides of the ribs with 1/4 to 1/2 cup Neely's BBQ Rub. Wrap ribs and refrigerate for at least 8 hours so flavors can permeate.

Preheat grill to 250 degrees F. using hickory and charcoal.

Use indirect heat (push the coals and chops to one side of the grill).

Place ribs meatier side down on the grill away from the flame. Cook beef 2 hours. Turn and cook for 45 minutes more, or until the ribs "bend" and the meat easily separates from the bone using a fork. Cook the pork ribs 3 hours. Turn and cook another hour, or until ribs bend. Remove from grill.

For dry ribs: Sprinkle extra Neely's BBQ seasoning over ribs, cut bones and serve.

For wet ribs: Coat ribs with Neely's BBQ sauce, cut and serve.

Neely's BBQ Sauce

2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cooked uncovered, stirring frequently, for 2 hours.

3/4 sugar

Is that 3/4 cup sugar in the rub? Wow, that would be way too cloyingly sweet for my taste, and lacking complexity with only paprika/onion powder/sugar. The sauce also has a lot of sugar in it. Also, no mention of salting the ribs at any point?

Checked foodnetwork and yes, the rub is simply paprika, sugar and onion powder; no salt mentioned in the recipe...? Maybe they don't really want to give away the family secret??? I remember stopping by Interstate BBQ about 15 years ago and recall it was pretty good.

I cannot believe the Neely's famous seasoning blend contains no salt and no pepper. It almost seems blasphemous!
icon_redface.gif

I am intrigued and am thinking about trying it out but it just seems not quite right. Has anyone given it a shot?

Drew

I've eaten at Interstate years ago, but never made their rub. As posted, the rub looks very bland. That's a lot of paprika which tends to lose flavor under heat. Their sauce as posted looks to be an average homemade Q sauce you'd find on the internet; not bad, but nothing special. I wouldn't be swayed by something that came off of their TV show. Personally, I'd try something that was posted by a regular of this site.

Paul

no salt mentioned in the recipe...?
Sounds odd to me. I do like the notion of salting first, then adding the rub (as a 2-step process), but no pepper -- black, cayenne, or otherwise? Blandsville baby!

Does not look very impressive...LOTS of sugar in the sauce as well...compare this to rubs/sauces invented by members and posted here and make your choice.

I'm with Paul. After seeing them a couple of times on TV I am not impressed with them. I found most of the stuff they make is very average. You can make food that is much better from this web site. Plus I find them very,very annoying.

Originally posted by Dave L.:
Plus I find them very,very annoying.
I can't freaking stand them. Maybe if they got a room before they shot each episode would help, but I doubt it. It's sickening watching them play grab Azz on TV.
icon_confused.gif

A cup and a half of paprika
icon_eek.gif
I wont eat that much of that crap in my whole life let alone putting all that in one batch of rub. Mmmmm can you say my rub reminds me of sand, YUMMY, NOT!!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Typo, from too much Gin last night.
icon_redface.gif

Agree with above comments regarding the Neely's.... pass.

One question about paprika for Bryan S. in particular... I know the standard store-bought paprika is completely flavorless ("What's the red stuff on my cheese sauce," I might've asked more than once as a kid. "Oh, nothing, just some color," would've been the response.)

What's your impression of Hungarian paprika?

I ask because I lived in Hungary for a about a year and if I learned one thing there it's that Hungarians love paprika. Oh, two things, they detest what we call paprika. I'm proud to have developed a solid csirke paprikas (paprika chicken) recipe, and I can't imagine using non-Hungarian paprika in it. These days I buy mine at Cost Plus (they have "hot" and "sweet," I prefer the latter) and use it in all recipes that call for paprika.

BTW, if Hungarian paprika repulses you, too, I won't be offended. Just curious is all.

Mosef, I've found when I used paprika in rubs it seem to give it a bitter after taste. I switched to Ancho powder and have been very pleased. It gives off a nice slightly sweet aroma and doesn't take away from the flavor of the rub. Nothing against paprika

Originally posted by Mosef:

One question about paprika for Bryan S. in particular... I know the standard store-bought paprika is completely flavorless

What's your impression of Hungarian paprika?
And how!

When I do use Paprika, I do use Hungarian.
icon_wink.gif

Interstate BBQ is owned by Pat's brother. I forget his name.

Pat & Gina own Neely's BBQ and are genuinely two of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Both the Interstate and Neely's ques are just ok or average at best. Nothing special but they do sell a lot of que.

"Nothing special but they do sell a lot of que."
...because it's famous or because it's good?
Sounds to me a lot like Saz's Ribs in Milwaukee.
Famous, but not good.

Got to remember that the vast majority of folks out there have no idea how to make good Q, nor are interested in doing it themselves, hence mediocre places do thriving business.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
"Nothing special but they do sell a lot of que."
...because it's famous or because it's good?
Sounds to me a lot like Saz's Ribs in Milwaukee.
Famous, but not good.

I have to agree with you on that one. I am not sure how they got so big in the Q business.

Jerry's Old Town in Germantown is the same story.

...then there is ODennis' in Racine... they boil their ribs (at least they used to, haven't been there in YEARS)... and everyone raves about their ribs.

Until I got my WSM and started smoking I never had Q at home. As far as I knew, the only way to get it was to go to a local restaurant. Whatever I got was the only Q I ate so I thought it was good. It was Q and that's what I wanted. Things are different now.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
...then there is ODennis' in Racine... they boil their ribs (at least they used to, haven't been there in YEARS)... and everyone raves about their ribs.
Last time we were their I think your right Jim,they get there ribs precooked I believe from Denmark.He heats them and adds sweet sauce.
They tasted like White Castle ribs LOL.
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back