Would like a good "all purpose" pork rub

eric b

Hello all. As the title says, I would like a good pork rub I could use for ribs, butts, and chops. Something more on the sweet side (the wife and kids do not do hot at all) and not to salty. The last few I tried were to slaty for my taste. I am trying to come up with something that I can make a big batch off and keep on hand. Thanks!

To me, paprika in a rub is a waste (I never use it; it has scant flavor if any after long dry cooking) but whatever you choose to make, make it without salt. Salt the meat first, separately, then let it sit 10 min or so for the salt to draw moisture, then apply the rub over the salt. This way you can control the amount of salt and can use as much or as little rub as you want without affecting the salt level since you salted separately. I make all rubs without salt for precisely this reason.

See this for a possibility.

Sorry don't have it in front of me but when I'm in a hurry and need a simple pork rub I use the all purpose rub recipe from the Slap Yo Daddy BBQ homepage. I've used it on pork butt, spares, and baby backs and never had a complaint. Very simple and you already have everything in your cupboards, Ken

I like this one: Competition ribs. I sub a mild chile powder for all the paprika and use a hotter chile powder where it calls for chile powder. I use granulated garlic and onion instead of the salts for more flavor and opt to salt by hand. I also use half turbinado sugar and half dark brown sugar. Its a winner.

Hey Kevin,

What do you sub for paprika in general recipes? Somthing like guajillo? Where I live, that's a pretty costly sub especially when you get into rubs or chilis/goulash.

JDH

I use paprika where it works - goulash and Paprikáscsirke (chicken paprikas, AKA chicken paprikash). These dishes rely on moist heat cooking and a quality paprika really shines here.

For rubs I use a variety of chilies. See this recipe re-do for an example.

My Favorite rub is Bill's "Texas BBQ Rub 'ORIGINAL'," however, at first newbies wife's seem to think it has bit hot taste, and maybe it does.

I have tride Butcher's BBQ Honey Rub and it is especially good on pooultry, no "Bite" of pepper, but you could use it on ribs, or "Plowboys Bold" rub sold at your local Bass Pro Shop, then add a little of Texas BBQ Rub to spice it up a bit.

You are NOT doing anything wrong, but it just takes time, and a variety of rubs and smokes to figure out which is your favorite.

Next "beer can chicken I smoke", I'm going to "Texas BBQ Rub Original", as I like some "bite" and good tast to meat, not just plain-Jane bland food. You have to get "Adventrous" and try some different stuff untlil you hit on what your entire family likes.

Good luck.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
To me, paprika in a rub is a waste (I never use it; it has scant flavor if any after long dry cooking)...

I disagree, paprika does not always disappear or become bitter, but this may be because we BBQ on different styles of cookers. My rib rub has paprika as the second most plentiful ingredient and the light floral taste is readily apparent in the finished product. BTW I cook my ribs on an offset not a WSM.

Depending on my mood and energy level, I'll make my own. But if I don't, John Henry's pecan is my "go to" for a versatile, non-spicy rub. I just Googled the site and it looks like the original pecan may no longer be on it???

John Henry's

Back