zinc/galvanized question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleatus H

TVWBB Member
I've read multiple posts regarding zinc coated/galvanized metals in the WSM. Some say it is not good others says it is ok. Has there ever been a definitive answer to this question? I know from welding that zinc when it vaporizes forms zinc oxide which can give you flu like symptoms for a few days. This vaporization happens around 1500 degrees if memory serves correctly. I guess I don't see how the low temps in the WSM could cause zinc to change state to cause problems.

Thanks, Cleatus

Quote from http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C512842.html:
"Excess zinc is toxic. Too much zinc will interfere with the metabolism of other minerals in the body, particularly iron and copper. Symptoms of zinc toxicity occur after ingestion of 2gm of zinc or more."

My turn now:
Two grams of zinc seems like a lot. I find it hard to believe that this much zinc would transfer from a cooking grate to a piece of meat, but if you are also consuming dietary supplements containing zinc, perhaps it could be an issue. Perhaps you should consider using plastic utensils to avoid scraping material away from the grate?

Your call, but stainless steel is not that expensive is it? How about cast iron with a little oil and heat?

I wouldn't worry about it too much myself.

Chet

I wasn't even thinking of using a zinc plated grate. I'm referring more to just parts that don't actually come in contact with the food. It seemed like there was a concern from some people about even this.

Thanks

What zinc utensil, appliance or device is it you wish to use, for what purpose?

Personally I don't want to start worrying about things like that cuz then I would have to worry about the BBQ meat I regularly eat loaded with saturated animal fat, and cooked over smoke (known to the State of California to be a carcinogen), sometimes served with Monosodium Glutamate...and all the hormones, antibiotics, colorants and other assorted chemicals the food industry pumps into our meat and other ingediants. It's just too depressing.

As a sheetmetal worker I work with galvanized metal sheets and steel. I can only say that for me I wouldnt use it even though it has no contact with the food not only for contamination but for appearance reasons too.Btw what kind of parts are you planning to attach?

Cleatus,

Fumes would not be the issue here because the temps are way too low to release toxic fumes (unless you are using some killer coals /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

However, everything I've seen related to zinc/food-related illnesses is from acidic foods coming into contact w/ galvanized metals.
This may create zinc oxide which is toxic when consumed.

For the WSM, unless you ingest something which has come into direct contact w/ any of the galvanized parts (or somehow dripped onto the food from galvanized metal) you'll be fine.

Typically problems occur when people store food/juices in galvanized containers. Here's a link to a Mich St U memo...

Mich St zinc/food memo

Aren't the bolts/nuts shipped with the WSM zinc plated? What about some of the other hardware? For me, as long as the food doesn't touch it, I'm okay with using it. If I had an ounce of concern, I'd just use stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back