Your Own Rubs And Your Own Sauce?

Michael M.

TVWBB Fan
Just wondering how many of you here have worked on developing your own rubs and, perhaps, even your own BBQ sauce or sauces?
I've spent the better part of the last two years (in my free time that is) working on both.
I have developed what I think (and have been told) are several solid rubs for various meats. And, as of tonight, my BBQ sauce process finally appears complete after many versions.
How about the group?

I think most people take a basic rub and leave out or replace an ingredient and it becomes their own. I myself use less sugar and salt than others. Kevin Kruger turned me on to ditching the paprika and use ancho. It worked great.

I make my own rub's for everything except steak. Chicken, rib's and lamb all get their own rub depending on my mood, lol... It's never the same twice, unless I make way to much and stick some in the fridge. As for sauce, I usually start with a base and add my own flavor to it. However I made sauce from scratch lastnight/today for the ribs I just cooked and I may never go back the the bottled "base" I was so good, lol.

I only make my own rubs and sauces and rarely make the same thing twice. A few are posted here. The only time I have commercial sauce is when someone sends me a jar to clone. Can't say I've ever liked any much.

I never use commercial rubs or sauces. The odd time I will use a rub or sauce that someone else has posted. As a rule I just go into the spice room with a bowl and start mixing. Same idea for sauces. Look what's in the fridge and away you go! I find it makes me look at food in a much different way and makes sure I'm not always making the same things!

Clark

I make my own rubs and sauces. It's fun and I can make things to my taste. The rub is a pretty basic salt-free rub (salt the meat first, wait 10 minutes, then add rub). Also, per Kevin K's suggestion, using less and less paprika these days.
However, I am quite proud of my sauce. Again, it's a simple one in theory: a tart tomato-based sauce with a little heat and sweetness for balance. Naturally it's head and shoulders above any store-bought sauce I've tasted.
icon_wink.gif

I modify rubs I find on the net, changing/omitting ingredients and amounts. I tend to add more sugar, most times 2x or 3x the amount. I like Q on a bit on the sweet side. I use very little sauce, only a light coating on ribs before applying the rub. For that I use Sweet Baby Rays. No sauce with my flats.

Trying this rub for the 1st time today.

Brisket Rub #4

# 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
# 1/4 cup kosher salt
# 2 tablespoons garlic powder
# 2 tablespoons onion powder
# 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
# 2 tablespoons chili powder
# 1 tablespoon celery salt
# 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
# 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Black Pepper
# 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Here's the original of the above rub

Oklahoma Joe's

# 1/4 cup kosher salt
<span class="ev_code_RED"># 1/4 cup sugar</span>
# 2 tablespoons garlic powder
# 2 tablespoons onion powder
# 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
# 2 tablespoons chili powder
# 1 tablespoon celery salt
<span class="ev_code_RED"># 1 tablespoon lemon pepper</span>
# 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
<span class="ev_code_RED"># 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper</span>
# 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Ingredients in red were changed/ omitted

I don't think I've ever used a store bought sauce or rub. There's so many recipes out there one is sure to find something they like.

here's my take:

1) prepackaged rubs are mostly salt. I'd rather buy salt (its cheap) and spend the money on quality spices

2) using prepackaged rubs might give you an idea of what brands you like but you won't learn nearly as much as you would if you made it yourself (and I am all about learning).

3) having a a large selection of high quality spices gives me an infinite number of combinations. I can come up with completely random flavor profiles that wouldn't be possible if I limited myself to off the shelf stuff.

Back