Your most powerful grilling memories

Originally posted by Mark Q:
the sound the metal can used to make when you sprayed it on the charcoal

Wow. I did not even remember this memory until you described it. Thanks Mark.

"plink-plunk"

My havorite memory is of a Sunday last September when I did ribs and chicken on the WSM, potatoes, beans, and a triple berry crisp on the performer, and roasting ears on the Genesis. At the time I suspected that it would be the last time I got to grill for my dad and unfortunately I was right. I am glad I have the memory of doing all of his favorites one last time.

Mike

Great Post! So funny. The One thing to tie up almost all posts is the lighter fluid. And belive me...I have the same thing carved into my back bone. Some times in the summer i can still smell the LF. And(dont tell anyone) almost feel it smells more like summer from there garden then my own.
icon_smile.gif

When i was growing up....No lighter fluid=No fire!

Mine seems to be the same as the others: watching my Dad squeeze round after round of lighter fluid on to the grill and the sound the metal bottle made when squeezed. Then eventually getting apprehensive as more and more fluid went on, I'd be thinking: Is the whole campground going to explode when he lights that?

If I remember right the result would be a temporary fireball, which would then extinguish itself without lighting the coals, and then another round of lighter fluid, and then another.... Usually there'd be a beer or two between dousings and the dousings would become more crazy.

At this point the giant piece of cardboard would come out and the fanning begin.

Eventually he bought a chimney to start the coals but all I remember about that was the ash of partially burnt newspapers blowing all over.

Good times!

On the more humorous side, many years ago I used to go to the sports car races at Watkins Glen every summer, and would camp for the weekend in the infield. Needless to say that as early 20 somethings, Budweiser consumption was > zero. These were the days of "the Bog" at the Glen, where a bus was burned at one point. So the guy at an adjacent campsite was using an acetylene torch to light his charcoal, and in doing so, he managed to burn through the bottom of his sheet metal grill and the resultant disc dropped to the ground.

I am a little late chiming in...but I remember there was always a bag of Kingsford settin next to a bag of Bandini Lawn food next to an old metal drop spreader.
My parents house has a built in grill/fireplace combo that was included in all the houses on their street back in 1948!! I remember that metal can of Kingsford fluid as well. There was an old metal table out on the patio where we would eat...only when Pops grilled though. What I wouldn't give to have just one more grilled dinner like the ones I had growin up in the 60's!!

001-103.jpg

001-102.jpg

Great storys, I was porud to have the job of getting a bucket of water after the cooking was done & get the tongs & drop the coals into the water so we could let them dry & use them next time. Times were tough for us so every nickle counted.

Funny how so many of us remember the smell of the lighter fluid and sound of the can pouring it on. Brings me back to summer time as a kid with freshly gound hamburgers (lived on a farm) and my mom's homemade buns.

Kraft BBQ sauce takes me back, did they make it in the early 70s cause that's when I'm thinking I can first remember it?

I think the only BBQ sauce you could get in the 70s was Kraft and maybe DelMonte at least here in SoCal........

Back