Your chainsaw, my fruit wood: Seattle

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
A local homeowner pruned out his cherry and plum trees and gave the wood to me ~ well, so long as I would pick up. Fun times in a Jeep Wrangler, I can tell you. Anyway, I've got logs all over the driveway - probably around 100 pounds worth. Several logs around 2 feet long and 4 - 5 inch diameter. However, I do NOT have a chain saw to break this stuff down into workable chunks. I suppose I could go rent one, but I thought I'd offer to share the wealth first.

Most of the plum wood is green, but the cherry has been cured outdoors for 4 years and is ready to burn! Any locals wanna come by some afternoon, share their tools in trade for wood? I'm in South Seattle, Skyway neighborhood within throwing distance of Boeing Field. Thanks.

Heck, I'll ship you my chainsaw for some of that cherry wood!
icon_smile.gif

Have you considered equipment rental places? I bet you could get one for no more than $30-40 for the day...

I have an electric chainsaw and live near Covington. Where in the Seattle area are you?

Frank

Unfortunately I'm in SoCal or I'd be there in a heartbeat I love firing up my Chain saw any chance I get
icon_wink.gif
(wife hates it though
icon_eek.gif
has 91 dialed on the phone)

Honestly though I've done this before and the 2'x4"-6" can be a bit scary to hold, I have access to a band saw and find that works much better, just a sugestion, I know you may not have one handy.

I have used a table saw and Skil saw as well. I have found that most chainsaws will leave a oily residue on the wood (at least the ones with a automatic oiler) so I quit using mine and went to the table saw, just have to be careful, I plan on keeping all 10 of my fingers a while longer. I cut my chunks about 3x3x3 works good for me.

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Pearson:

Honestly though I've done this before and the 2'x4"-6" can be a bit scary to hold, I have access to a band saw and find that works much better, just a sugestion, I know you may not have one handy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used a band saw before as well and find it much easier. Plus, with a band saw you can cut the wood into chunks rather than just disks. Seems to be safer, too.

It's not really necessary to cut it all up into cooking size chunks immediately. Just store the full size logs out of the rain and cut the chunks as needed with a small hand saw. They are fairly inexpensive at hardware stores. They come with a protective cover on the blade, and it will help keep the blade sharp. Works good.

You got any wood working equipment? An electric miter box works great. I cut the wood to 2-3 foot lengths, 2 it it is big diameter. The big stuff gets hit with the maul to nice sizes. Last I take and cut it with the miter box to fist size chunks. I cut off both ends that got hit with the chain saw. Chain saws use oil to keep the chain from burning up. Having oil in the smoker never sounded good to me.

Oh and good luck on that cherry. I believe you will find cherry gets very hard when seasoned. I have a buddie with a wood splitter. He got lazy and let some cherry sit. A year or so later his 30 ton splitter wouldn't split it.

If you or anyone uses a miter box BE CAREFUL. DO NOT EVER put a finger between the wood and the fence. Unforunately I am talking from experience. I was cutting some chunks back in June. I have been cutting my wood like this for quite a while and got lazy and not paying complete attention. I got my finger between the wood, fence and the base and the blade grabed the wood and my finger was in so much pain the 3 next to it hurt and they were fine. My finger nail still isn't out where I can cut it yet. I would say about another 3 weeks at the rate it has been going.

Get yourself either a 21 or 24 inch bow saw and get started. And then get a splitting axe which can be had from either Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks.

Aside from smokewood, you'll get a great upper body workout that'll really tighten your abdominal muscles as well as any bowflex machine. Get working!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
Get yourself either a 21 or 24 inch bow saw and get started. And then get a splitting axe which can be had from either Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks.

Aside from smokewood, you'll get a great upper body workout that'll really tighten your abdominal muscles as well as any bowflex machine. Get working! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TJ:

Remind me to never take your advice again.
icon_smile.gif

I actually have a 24" bow saw. So. I went out yesterday and started on the alder which has been seasoning for about 6 months. Obviously, it's been too long since I went to the gym or hit the bowflex and I am paying for that neglect today. I knew last night I was going to remember the day's activities, so I soaked in a hot tub last before bed. Today, I have enough wherewithall to life my cup of coffee and that's about it. I'm going to have to pass the bulk of this job off to my teenager.

On the plus side, I've got some lovely rounds that will see the WSM interior next year.

Howlett:

Rather than conduct one loooong session with the bow saw, just limit your sawing sessions to about 15 minutes. Then go have a beer or whatever. Then return in about an hour for another 15 minute sawing session. That way you;ll allow your muscles to 'recover' from the intense activity.

I've been sawing and splitting all week. When all this is done in a week or 2, I'll have enough wood to last me through 2 or 3 seasons of cooking. I have learned to keep an eye out for available blow downs I can grab because I see no reason to buy any but the most exotic woods anymore.

I got a large log of cherry wood from a friend and I have been cutting it down with a hand saw. I find the most important thing is to secure the wood. I have a vise that holds the wood secure and then when I saw it, I'm not fighting with the wood - just cutting it. Makes the job a lot easier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
If you or anyone uses a miter box BE CAREFUL. DO NOT EVER put a finger between the wood and the fence. Unforunately I am talking from experience. I was cutting some chunks back in June. I have been cutting my wood like this for quite a while and got lazy and not paying complete attention. I got my finger between the wood, fence and the base and the blade grabed the wood and my finger was in so much pain the 3 next to it hurt and they were fine. My finger nail still isn't out where I can cut it yet. I would say about another 3 weeks at the rate it has been going. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My wife is an RN and works in the operating room so I've heard some horror stories and seen some pics but when I read this, I cringed and got chills from it. Damn! lol Hope all turns out well.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Oh yeah, Hays. Wait till you see piccies of an inexperienced axe user whose blade severed halfway through a really tough leather hiking boot. Halfway. Ouch!

Back