You gotta be kidding me - 18" SJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terre Hooks

TVWBB Fan
I bought what appears to be a once-used 18" Smokey Joe Platinum last week. The cooking grate looks like it's spent 6 months on a salt water dock.

I want to take this with me on a trip up north this week, so I take the grate out of the like-new 18" OTS.

No go. It's about 1/2" smaller in diameter. You have got to be kidding me. What moron at Weber decided NOT to use the same grate???

You mean I need a special grate for the top grate of my WSM, a special one for the bottom of the WSM, one for the 18" OTS, and another special one for the 18" Smokey Joe?

Come on, Weber. You're getting to be like the darn government!!!

icon_mad.gif

You do NOT have an SJP. What you have is a Jumbo Joe. I have two of them. They are the predecessor to the SJP, and their grates are slightly different. You should be able to call Weber and get a replacement grate for it. Just tell them you have a Jumbo Joe. I'd be willing to bet money that's your solution.

By the way, I've never heard of an 18" OTS. I think all of Weber's OTS/OTG's are 18.5", when not 22.5"

What is the code on your top vents? It should be a two letter combination. From that we can probably tell if it's a Jumbo Joe vs. an SJP, as the JJ was released prior to the SJP.

Terre, as I look at the grills you own in your signature, it is definitely worth noting that you have (2) 18.5", (1) 22.5" WSM, (3) 22.5" OTS, 18.5" OTS.

And that SJP is probably a JJ. :)

Ok, thanks.

I don't get all anal about the sub-inch measurements...I've got a bunch of 18" cookers and 22" cookers...

It doesn't seem to matter to many anyway...They can't remember if the 26" kettle is a 26", 26-1/2" or 26-3/4".

icon_biggrin.gif

I will call Weber tomorrow if I have time. Meanwhile, I'll be trying to see if I can scrounge up a grate for it for use up 3 hours from you in Eagles Mere.

yep, i agree that webber seems to have decided less is more is not for them as far as the grates are concerned. yep, i also don't bother with the fractions unless its really needed to make a point. 14, 18, 22, 26 and monster usually gets the message across.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
yep, i agree that webber seems to have decided less is more is not for them as far as the grates are concerned. yep, i also don't bother with the fractions unless its really needed to make a point. 14, 18, 22, 26 and monster usually gets the message across. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL Clearly you speak of the behemoth.

The only reason I made mention of the fractions, is because the grate for the JJ is a solid 19". That .5" difference is a big deal at least in this instance.

I'm familiar with the OP's aggravation, because I too bought a couple 18.5" grates for my JJ's once upon a time, and they're not big enough...they don't seat properly. They end up sitting in the kettle all crooked 'n stuff.

Ok. So, I've got this figured out. SJP's and JJ's use the same sized grate. It is NOT the same sized grate as the 18.5" grate that the stand-up kettles use. A hinged grate is not available for the SJP and JJ. I once had an 18.5" Platinum (I miss that SOB). I attempted to put its hinged grate on the JJ and it "fell through". The standup models have tabs that the grates rest on. The SJP and JJ have a lip/groove that the grate settles into.

IMG_0636.jpg

^ Excuse my foot. LOL You can see the groove that runs around the kettle just above the vents.
IMG_0637.jpg

^ This shows the stock grate that comes with a JJ. You can see how it rests in that groove.
IMG_0638.jpg

^ This shows the hinged grate for an 18.5" grill. You can see how it settles below the groove/lip.
IMG_0639.jpg

^ This shows the 18.5" grate atop the grate for the JJ. Doesn't appear to be much of a difference.
IMG_0640.jpg

^ Here you can see there clearly IS a difference. Not much, but its plenty enough to enable the grate to fall beneath where it's supposed to be.

I just got off the phone with Weber. The SJP and JJ use the exact same grates as their part numbers are identical. The lady I spoke with says they still have a few in stock. You should be able to call them up and get the proper grate for your grill. :)

if you need the measurements SJP/JJ uses 17.75" diameter cooking grate. i don't know of anywhere that sells this except weber cs.

all the other 18.5" grills use 17.5" cooking grate. so the difference is 1/4 inch.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
The only reason I made mention of the fractions, is because the grate for the JJ is a solid 19" That .5" difference is a big deal at least in this instance.

Me-thinks you have nominal vs actual numbers mixed up..
My SJP grate measured @ the center bar is 18"
Which is a 1/2" larger than my WSM grates.
Just sayin, to avoid any confusion.
icon_wink.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
The only reason I made mention of the fractions, is because the grate for the JJ is a solid 19" That .5" difference is a big deal at least in this instance.

Me-thinks you have nominal vs actual numbers mixed up..
My SJP grate measured @ the center bar is 18"
Which is a 1/2" larger than my WSM grates.
Just sayin, to avoid any confusion.
icon_wink.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're probably right. I was using the numbers as an example, per se, more than presenting them as an actuality. :)

I cooked on this grill during the 4th of July week 4 times.

This has got to be the worst grill Weber has ever hatched. I'm thinking about selling it and buying an 18" OTS off of CL and chopping the legs off.

I have it and haven't modified it all and find it fantastic.

I primarily use it for tailgating and it provides food for 20-25 people with ease.

It's basic limitation is that it won't get real hot for things like steaks, but it's a fine grill and excellent roaster.

I do use lump though, so getting 400 plus degrees for me isn't that hard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terre Hooks:
I cooked on this grill during the 4th of July week 4 times.

This has got to be the worst grill Weber has ever hatched. I'm thinking about selling it and buying an 18" OTS off of CL and chopping the legs off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you say it's the worst grill? I have two of them, and they've been put to use dozens of times. I've even smoked with them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back