Yesterdays Spares

Tastey looking ribs.

4085938173_cd6dceae2e.jpg

4086697410_eb87eb6b60.jpg

4086700738_3a3ab1d087.jpg

When I make spares, I do a 3-1-1 method with a lid temp of 240deg. I put the trimmings and the tips on the lower rack and foil them at the same time I foil the racks (at the 3 hour mark). After cooking in foil for an hour, I remove the foil packet of trimmings from the cooker and let it sit on the counter while the racks get another hour of cooking, unfoiled, on the top rack - I'll brush the racks with sauce during the last 30min.

I take the trimmings and remove all of the bone and cartilage, chop up the meat, put it in a freezer bag and freeze it for later use in beans or ABT's for another meal.

Yesterday I made 4 slabs of babybacks with a batch of OK Joe's Beans on the lower rack to catch all of the rib drippings. I put spares' trimmings in the beans as well as in some ABT's. In fact, I just had this for breakfast with some cornbread and coleslaw.

Originally posted by Chris F.:
When I make spares, I do a 3-1-1 method with a lid temp of 240deg. I put the trimmings and the tips on the lower rack and foil them at the same time I foil the racks (at the 3 hour mark). After cooking in foil for an hour, I remove the foil packet of trimmings from the cooker and let it sit on the counter while the racks get another hour of cooking, unfoiled, on the top rack - I'll brush the racks with sauce during the last 30min.

I take the trimmings and remove all of the bone and cartilage, chop up the meat, put it in a freezer bag and freeze it for later use in beans or ABT's for another meal.

Yesterday I made 4 slabs of babybacks with a batch of OK Joe's Beans on the lower rack to catch all of the rib drippings. I put spares' trimmings in the beans as well as in some ABT's. In fact, I just had this for breakfast with some cornbread and coleslaw.

Very close to what I do - sometime I'll put the trimming back on along with the ribs though and pull the meat on the trimmings after that. Especially if I'm going to use the meat for pulled rib sammies.

I love spare ribs much more than babybacks. I made babybacks yesterday just because they'd be done a bit quicker than the spares - I do 2-1-1 for babybacks. They were 2.99/lb. while spares are usually 1.49/lb. when on sale.

I'm with you on the spares vs bb's. I've made tons of spares over the years and can count the times on one hand that I did baby backs. I can cook them just fine, but I just like the spares better. More meat and more fat to render. And if you St.Louis trim they present on the plate really well (if you care). And the price always makes you smile by comparison. I guess BB's are better as appetizers (because of size), but I'm not usually cooking spares as appetizers. If I did I'd ask the butcher to saw the spares down the center
icon_biggrin.gif

Back