Yesterday's Spares (with pics)

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

This is try number 5 attempting to get better and better at spares. Next things I need is to understand St. Louis'ing and cutting to render out the fat.

Pics: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chris_chauvin/album?.dir=...tok=phh43gEBEphIdMMh

Anyway, here goes:

First, I was thinking about BRITU, but seeing a response from Kevin Kruger, I decided his rub recipe and method looked enticing. So, first of all, THANK YOU KEVIN!

Kevin's method and recipe: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m/8680057723

I started with 4 racks of Berkshire pork spares. Good quality stuff, but kinda expensive. Trimmed away the fat and ripped the skins off the back. Because I was doing 4, I cut two of the larger ones in half. I hate doing that though, but it did make them easier to handle

As Kevin suggested, I salted with sea salt first until they got moist, 20 - 30 minutes. Made Kevin's rub as stated in the topic above and applied. This was about 10 in the morning.

Went out to start the WSM a little before 11 with one lit hardwood chimney on top of 1 unlit. Waited for ash over on all coals. Assembled and added my water to the water pan.

Closed all the vents and waited until 275 and put the ribs on the top rack in the rib rack. Adjusted my temp with the bottom 50% closed and top wide open. Added two chunks of hickory (I just like hickory on ribs) and let her go. Maintained right at 225 measured at the lid. Ribs on at 11:45.

After 3.5 hours (or a little more, it was about 3:30), foiled the ribs. I used Kevin's suggestion pineapple and tamarind juices. I used a little more tamarind then Kevin's ratio just cause I like the tamarind flavor. I applied heavily with a spray bottle with ribs in the foil on both side. Enough that there was a poll of liquid in the bottom of each foil pouch. Wrapped them up tightly and put them back on the WSM.

Got a temperature spike because I was alone at the house and the lid was off for about 7 minutes while I foiled. So, I had to close all my vents again to get the temp back down to 225.

Let them go foiled for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Had my son over so he could be lid lifter for me so I didn't have the temp spike while I unfoiled. Put the unfoiled back on for another 45 minutes.

Took them off about 6:15 and foiled them all in one bunch on the pan. I didn't want to refoil each invidually because I didn't want to lose that crust that had developed on the outside.

Let them sit for about 30 minutes, then sliced and served. The ribs were tender, juicy, and very falvorful. That rub is awesome stuff.

About 9 people went away happy. However, I had two racks left at the end! Those girls just don't eat very much. That's ok, had half a rack at lunch today. Still tasty.

Comments and critique are welcome and encouraged!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Comments and critique are welcome and encouraged! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Comments - Those ribs look great. Great job!

Critique - Next time you should invite me
icon_biggrin.gif

Chris -

Great job - the ribs looked great. Foiling them really makes a big difference. I used to be a purist but now I'm a fully converted foiler.

I used the Texas BBQ Rub which has some sugar in it. My spares turned out much darker, almost black, and had tasted a little sweet.

Where are you located?

Berkshire is my favorite of the heritage pig breeds. They do tend to carry more interior fat than the mass produced pigs and even more than several of the other heritage breeds (which makes thir loins especially flavorful).

The ribs look great, Chris. I'm glad the cook went well and that you liked the rub and juice blend (I made ribs myself last night and also upped the tamarind--great stuff).

Back