Yes, Another WSM Water Pan Alternative

Mike WP

Hi folks, I've been a long time lurker and I think it's time I contribute a little.

Poking around Amazon, I came across something that I thought might make a good alternative water pan. I wasn't sure about the actual size of it, but I knew it would be close. So, I reached out to Hubert, but haven't gotten any kind of response. Having more dollars than sense, I went ahead and bought it. Let's just say it fits my WSM 18 perfectly. So much so, that if I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was made for it. It snugly fits between the brackets without any modification. It won't save anyone any money over things like the Brinkman pan, but it seems like another good alternative.

Hubert Chafing Dish Water Pan

It holds slightly less water than the stock pan but is much shallower.

IMG_4023.jpg

Also, the dutch oven liners I had fit pretty good. The pan is a little big larger than the liners.

IMG_4024.jpg

It seems pretty solid, but I have yet to cook anything with it, so I cannot attest to the durability. I don't know if they have one that might fit the 22.

Although I haven't pulled the trigger on it, this seems like it might be kind of useful too. Since this is a chafing dish water pan, it also has a food pan that goes along with it. I don't have this so I cannot make any guarantees how it may fit inside. On the Hubert site, it is one of the recommended associated items, so I assume they work together. Maybe this could have a use. The water pan is about 4 1/2" deep and this is 2 1/2". Maybe if you wanted to put sand in the water pan and water in the food pan? Or just leave an air space between the two and put water in the top? Not sure it's worth the extra $, but who knows?

Hubert Food Pan

What I like about this chafing dish water pan is that in order to fit into the serving set, this pan has to be made with some precision. It can't vary in diameter from batch to batch. One of the problems we've seen with using s/s mixing bowls as alternative water pans is that they can vary in diameter a bit from batch to batch, which is not a big deal if you're using it as a mixing bowl but can present fit issues when used as a hanging water pan in the WSM.

I also think relatively straight sides with flat bottom is a very efficient shape in terms of water capacity.

I might have to check this one out. Thanks Mike!

The Hubert pan and dish are exactly what I was looking for. I ran the pan with sand in it and the dish on top wrapped in foil. It was perfect for adding mass, keeping the heat indirect, and collecting the drips from a rack of ribs and a butt. The best part was cleanup... I simply pulled off the foil... 10 seconds.

For those who care more about coal capacity than mass or insulation, you could also run just the dish without the pan. Very happy with it and I appreciate the recommendation!

IMG_5081.jpg
IMG_5079.jpg
IMG_5078.jpg
IMG_5077.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thats awesome! Im glad it worked out for you. I may have to pull the trigger on the dish myself - I like the flexibility it may offer. But so far, the water pan has been working perfectly for me.

Ok, so if someone could re-explain how the water pan and the food pan work together? I really want to get something shallower than the stock WSM 18 pan as it touches the coals during cooks where I fill the basket and doesn't allow me to slightly overfill the basket. Since these are Hubert they are cheaper and easily accessible here in Canada than alternatives.

What is so wrong with the factory water pan?
See second sentence in ChristopherC's post above.
Who actually uses water in it and why?
I don't use water when cooking hot & fast, but I use water sometimes when cooking low & slow. Water stabilizes cooker temps, cools the meat surface to slow the cooking process, and water vapor causes more smoke to stick to the meat surface and can enhance smoke ring. If you don't use water in the pan, spritzing during cooking is encouraged.

Ok so I purchased both the water pan and the food dish. They both fit perfectly either separately or together in the WSM 18 in replacement of the stock water pan.

So, now that I have these and can use them outside the WSM as both a warming plate or cooling plate, what combination of options do you think they can be used effectively in the WSM? Water pan? Empty? Drip catchers? When might you use either one or both together in the WSM? With them being stainless any need to foil?

I foil mine for easier cleanup, so I cannot say how running them in the WSM without foil would turn out.

I will say that after using it a number of times, the heat discolored the water pan quite a bit. I haven't had much opportunity to get out and cook lately since I bought the food dish to go with it, so I cannot say whether or not the food pan will eventually discolor as well. Other than the color, it has been holding up quite well.

Back