Yellow Ranger rehab pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Kolodziejski

TVWBB All-Star
As some of you know, I picked up the 2 rangers that listed this summer on Clist. One red, one yellow. Both were in fair to rough shape for their age, the red one being the worse off. So included are some pics of the yellow one that I have been working on off and on. Turned out pretty good overall, but after purchasing MANY different colors of yellow paint, I was only able to come close in matching the original color.

rangers006.jpg

rangers005.jpg

YelllowRangerrehabbottomuntouched.jpg

YellowRehab010.jpg

yellowrehab003.jpg

yellowrehab008.jpg

yellowrehablidbefore1.jpg

YellowRehab020.jpg

YellowFellas002.jpg

YellowRehab020.jpg

The photo showing the bottom rehabs looks like the whole bottom is a different color now, but its actually just the flash making it look different
The last pic is of the yellow fellas brothers!

Fantastic rehab Jeff. Way to save it from a possible bad ending. Now about that Red one....

Jeff, very nice job! Did you spray paint the whole kettle or just certain spots?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
Very Nice!

Hmmm... can't a paint shop match colors with a machine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Travis, I'm sure most could. I took the lid from my yellow Ranger to Sherwin Williams paint store, they scanned it with the computer and made me an exact match. I did not have it made into a spray form but I'm sure it could be done, I just used it for a couple touch up spots.

I didnt spray the whole kettle. Only certain spots. It matched close, but not 100% or enough to show in the photo. I wonder if a paint store like sherwin williams can match your paint and make it in a spray can? I don't have a compressor or spray gun to spray myself. Im limited to spray cans at least at this point. Thats good to know though about sherwin williams as I still have to work on my red ranger, but probably not till spring time comes around.

Todd - was Sherwin Williams able to make you up a high temperature paint for the grill? I've been trying to get by using ultra-high temperature brake caliper or engine block paint from the auto parts store. It would be great to be able to get a better match, but it never dawned on me that the local paint shop could produce a paint that would withstand cooking temperatures.

Thanks!

Pat

Great job Jeff! It looks like new what was the color and make you settled on? Has anyone checked an auto paint supply store for small sprayers and paint?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder if a paint store like sherwin williams can match your paint and make it in a spray can? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, I'm not sure about Sherwin Williams, but I did have a spray can made before at Napa (local auto parts store) it cost $20.00. It might be possible to bring Napa or any auto paint shop your paint and have them turn it into a spay can for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Todd - was Sherwin Williams able to make you up a high temperature paint for the grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pat, the paint I got was an industrial Enamel that was rated for 500-600 degrees, The guy at Sherwin Williams told me it was used for some type of furnace/register industrial application.

Awesome work! I'm trying to restore a red Performer - Dupli-color Engine red engine enamel is a good match for the red, about $5-6$ a can. Did not try a paint store. VHT makes a red that is rated to 2000F but the color is nowhere near as pretty as the Dupli-color. I hear that the Duplicolor will not retain its color once you start using the grill though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back