X-mas Prime Rib

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A cool, crisp, sunny Christmas day greeted me and my WSM as we set out on a mission to whip up an herb-crusted 13.6 lb Prime (and I do mean PRIME) Rib Roast. I had ordered a 12-pounder from my best local grocer, but ended up with a 13.6-pounder. It came with the bones but-off and strung back on. I had to cut this bad boy in half to get the 2 halves on the top grate, which actually was better because it provided twice the number of crispier end pieces. I hadn't bought enough fresh herbs on Christmas Eve to cover the whole thing, but improvised to make sure I got a crust of some kind on the whole thing. Anyway, to make a long story short, 2 chimneys full of coals, temp shot right up. Put the meat on at about 450-degrees and the cooker settled right down to 350 (all vents open) and stayed there for the entire 4 1/2 hours it took to get the internal meat temp to 132. I only have one remote probe, so I stuck it in the middle of the larger half of the two, and removed the meat when this one got to temp. This worked out well, because the smaller half got a little more done (still pink inside) which suited some of the family memebers more. The large half was pretty red inside, but just like many people like when they get Prime Rib in a restaurant. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of these beauties when I took them off the cooker and put them on the garnished platter (garnished with parsely, rosemary sprigs and holly). This was beautiful, and the taste, thanks to the recipe on this site, was absolutely FANTASTIC!! I am not one to order Prime Rib when I go out to eat, but I sure liked this one. Used 100% apple for the smoke wood, as I didn't have any cherry on hand. There was a subtle smoke flavor, but definitely not overpowering.
Bottom line is.....any beef-eaters out there HAVE TO try this baby.

Dean,

That sounds positively HEAVENLY. I'll be doing a prime rib in two weeks when my brother comes to visit us from the East Coast. I can't wait!

Kelly

P.S. I'm one of those "rare" beef eaters, personally.

Kelly,
You guys are going to love it. The key thing, I think, is to make sure you have plenty of charcoal. The 2 chimneys full worked for me. I suppose this becomes a little less critical as the size of the piece of meat is reduced, but with the piece I was cooking, it was all the WSM could do to maintain 350 degrees with all vents open. I think I worry too much about temp. though. As long as it's close, and the final internal temp. is where you want it, the only worry is that it will take a little longer to cook.
As Chris says in his recipe, this really was a very easy project on the WSM. Also, I can see where you want to be careful about the type and quantity of the smoke wood you choose. Mine turned out great with about 3-4 medium sized pieces of apple, but apple is pretty mild. I don't think I'd use hickory or oak.....wrong flavor and too strong.
That herb recipe is really good, just try to get more than enough.
Good luck.

Thanks, Dean. I'll go with a light amount of apple. For the rub, my dad is sending me a jar of his BBQ team's (The Pork Belly Bandits) "Green Rub". Killer George (team member) used it on a prime rib on Christmas and said it was very good and his guests were also impressed. I'll also look again at Chris' fresh herb paste. I have an herb garden on my front porch, so quantity shouldn't be a problem! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelly Ratzlaff:
[qb]Killer George (team member) used it on a prime rib on Christmas and said it was very good and his guests were also impressed[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spent a few minutes racking my brain over the name Killer George, then realized why it was so familiar. I met him at a competition in Niles, CA in 1999 and
his picture is on the Web site.

Regards,
Chris

Cool, Chris. My dad didn't mention that picture. I wonder if he even knows about it. He's the one who introduced me to this site, so I would think he would know!

Did you also meet "The Innards King" at that competition? Big and bald.... that's my dad. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelly Ratzlaff:
[qb]Did you also meet "The Innards King" at that competition? Big and bald.... that's my dad.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not sure I met him, but I think I saw him at Niles as well as at the California Championship event in Santa Cruz in 1999 or 2000.

Regards,
Chris

Chris (and anyone else),

Definitely introduce yourself next time you run in to him at a competition. Sometimes he judges, too. He's also the treasurer of SCBBQA (Roger Cole). He's a heck of a guy, but don't tell him I said so. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back