WSM22 Clay Saucer Question

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I currently run the clay saucer mod in both my 18" WSM's, my question is has anyone found a clay saucer that fits the new 22 WSM and where did you get it/? Thanks!

I have one that fits nice inside the waterpan (I wrap the saucer in foil them it fits snug inside the pan). I bought it at my local nursury during the summer (last one sorry). There was no brand name, it was un-glazed and marked "made in italy". I have not seen them at any of the big hardware chains though. Do a search for clay saucers you may find them. Worth the effort for sure, I would never go back to water.

Jamie

I've always wondered how a "relatively" small clay saucer can have enough mass to take the place of a bowl full of water. I wonder if any of the clay saucer guys have run compares over an empty pan. Is there a significant stabilizing difference?

I bought mine at either HD or Lowes, its 19.5" in diameter was either $6-8. Wrap it in foil and it sits in the water pan, about 2" or so beneath the lip.

Works like a champ.

Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
I've always wondered how a "relatively" small clay saucer can have enough mass to take the place of a bowl full of water. I wonder if any of the clay saucer guys have run compares over an empty pan. Is there a significant stabilizing difference?

I don't think anybody's claiming it's going to replace the thermal mass of that much water. But that doesn't mean it's not useful, at least for some cooking conditions. And if you use your WSM up around 350 you're looking at a "dry" option one way or the other.

I haven't been using one on my 22" but I'll pick one up next time I'm at HD now that I have some idea of the size (thanks Gary!). Seems like cheap insurance to me...

It is not so much the mass of the saucer (there is some), as it is not having the water sucking the energy of the fire. The water uses alot of the coals energy to boil. Thats what keeps the temps down and stable. The WSM does not need the water to keep stable though. And I notice a big difference in the amount of coals used with the saucer.

I have no problem getting temps of 225 or temps of 350. Great for chicken and turkey. You just need to re-figure out your vent settings at first. I have my unit very air tight, and usually run 2 vents closed and one open an eigth.

Jamie

Jamie - you just provided an argument for not using water (it's not necessary and it uses fuel) but not for why you could just run with an empty pan and ignore the saucer altogether. I believe Gerd's question is do you get better results with the saucer than an empty pan?

Doug, very true. I have never tried the empty water pan. It may work fine, but the metal pan would not sheild much heat in my opinion. It MAY lead to hot spots? I know the water, sand, saucer, empty pan is a controversial subject. One of us should do some temp testing to prove out the differences. I will lead the taste testing team! Ha ha.

My saucer (wrapped in foil) fits in the top section of the water pan leaving an air gap between (kind of like the old Piedmont Pan mod). Between the small mass of the saucer and the air gap, I think it insulates the direct heat from the coals.

I have cooked on both racks and have not had any surprises. Next time I fire up the pit I will try to take some measurements and pics of my set up.

Jamie

The biggest clay saucer I could find for my first cook is 16". On the 22.5 the water pan o.d. is 18.5" so the 16" saucer fits in toward the bottom. Hope this is sufficient and I will continue to look for an 18" saucer (if they even make one."

So I'm trying a different approach I have 2 Clay saucers for my 22.5 WSM. I put a 16" in the bottom and a 18" on top of the water bowl. All foiled sperately and then took a long piece of foil folded in and wrapped around the diameter to seal it up. I'm doing 2 8# pork shoulders today I'll let everyone know how it worked.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Randy.

Great info in here for a newbie WSM owner like me
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't believe the water, sand, clay pot, deal is controversial...people just like to do things differently
icon_smile.gif
...me I've tried every method many times and have settled on this technique: Water in the pan for all Low n Slow cooks around 225*. For poultry, dry foiled water pan for crispy skin!!
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
I don't believe the water, sand, clay pot, deal is controversial...people just like to do things differently
icon_smile.gif
...me I've tried every method many times and have settled on this technique: Water in the pan for all Low n Slow cooks around 225*. For poultry, dry foiled water pan for crispy skin!!
icon_wink.gif

First smoke with my new 22" today. I picked up a 16" clay saucer at Lowes last night to use. I could not get it below 300 with it. I closed all of the vents and it still would not drop. I ended up pouring water in the saucer/pan and it dropped to around 250 and then settled in around 230. I have another 30 minutes to go and it might be time to eat.
icon_smile.gif
I think I will be using water going forward.

Originally posted by Jay S.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
icon_smile.gif
icon_wink.gif

First smoke with my new 22" today. I picked up a 16" clay saucer at Lowes last night to use. I could not get it below 300 with it. I closed all of the vents and it still would not drop. I ended up pouring water in the saucer/pan and it dropped to around 250 and then settled in around 230. I have another 30 minutes to go and it might be time to eat.
icon_smile.gif
I think I will be using water going forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've held temps from 225 to 300 with the clay saucer with no problem on my 18.5. A lot of people here have posted that the 22.5 takes a few cooks to seal the air leaks. Try it again after a you break it in.

Like with any system, bbq or brewing or whatever, you have to learn your equipment. In my 22 I use about 1/2" sand in the bottom and foil the top. Never had had problems holding any temps 220-350.

I think what your fuel is and how you start it has the most influence on your temps, plus watching your vents as the temp goes up. Example: if it gets too hot too fast, use less lit on your minion. Things like these make the most difference.

Originally posted by Lew:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay S.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
icon_smile.gif
icon_wink.gif

icon_smile.gif
I think I will be using water going forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've held temps from 225 to 300 with the clay saucer with no problem on my 18.5. A lot of people here have posted that the 22.5 takes a few cooks to seal the air leaks. Try it again after a you break it in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I will give it another shot after a few more uses. I would much rather not mess with water if I don't have to. BTW the ribs were great! I can't wait to try some of the recipes here. I pretty much just threw some rub together and mopped it with store bought sauce at the end.

Back