WSM won't get up to temp

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I started the WSM this morning with a full ring of Nature Glo briquettes, Minion method, about 25 lit coals to start. That was about 7:30. It's now 11:00am and the temp is only 217 degrees - that's with all vents fully open. I had to add another half-chimney of lit charcoal to get it above 200. I've read so many posts about people cooking with the vents closed almost all the way down, but in my experience (including using Kingsford), I have a hard time getting the temperature high enough. Any ideas? BTW, the charcoal was new, from a bag I just opened this morning.

Well,

Here's a couple of basics. Apologies if you've already been through these.

First, is your thermometer calibrated properly? Boil some water in a pot. Put the tip in the water. does it read 212* F or thereabout?

When you say all vents are open how about your top vent.

When you added your lit charcoal was the top of it ashed over?

Finally, Is your WSM out of the wind? Wind will such the heat right out of your pit.

Hope this helps.

The top vent is fully open. The thermometer is accurate. Right now it's at 224 on the top rack - a candy thermometer stuck down the top vent reads about 245. The added charcoal was fully ashed over. I think I just didn't start with enough. There is a bit of a breeze, but not enough to be a problem. Usually I light a full chimney (a small chimney, not as big as the Weber), then put it on one side of the charcoal ring, and fill in around and over it with unlit. This time I tried the regular Minion method, with the lit coals on top of the unlit. I think I'll go back to my "modified Minion method" next time.

Variations in coal foemulas can have that effect. I'm not familiar with the brand you're using but that might be it. With Kingsford I use 15-18 fully lit and that's enough usually. If the temp rise is stubborn (sometimes the coal in even new bags is not as dry as one would expect), I prop open the access door a few inches (my door is upside down with the knob on the bottom) for a little while for increased air intake. This is enough to get it over the hump and I have no need to light new coals. Give that a shot in the future if faced with the situation again. It's just like having a fourth (albeit larger) vent.

Larry, how much meat are you cooking?
Using water?
Which pan?

I wonder if humidity is a factor? I have not heard anyone comment but it makes sense that higher humidity would cook slightly slower than dry.

I doesn't get much more humid than here in the summer. I have never thought humidity to have an effect on a cook, except if we're talking about storing charcoal long term.

Larry

As Steve points out, the amount of meat, how cold it was when put on and the amount of water, i.e. Weber vs Brinkman pan, will make a difference. Your first post indicated you had to added a 1/2 chimney. Had the ring been totally full, as in mounded, you could not have added more. Lack of fuel at the beginning could be a big part of the problem. I've tried to use MM with only a 3/4 full ring on a short cook, like ribs, and when using a full pan of water (Brinkman), I had a very hard time getting temp up to cooking range.

Paul

Back