WSM winter storage

Graham Timson

As winter approaches I usually move my BBQs into the shed or garage only getting them out as and when I use them. However now I have a brand new WSM I'm getting short of space. What do you guys do, leave the stuff outside all year round? Will the equipment take the weather?

When necessary I cover the WSM with a plastic garbage bag and then put the Weber cover over it. It will take the weather but the problem is with the design of the bottom. The melting snow, ice & rain leaks into the bottom.

Watch out for high winds... Knocked my wsm over and chipped the charcoal bowl and mid section. Had it in the back yard on the porch and it ended up on the side of our house.

I've never had problems with the wind. Had everything else blow around but the WSMs stood their ground.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesar:
Watch out for high winds... Knocked my wsm over and chipped the charcoal bowl and mid section. Had it in the back yard on the porch and it ended up on the side of our house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a cold blustery day that chilled to the bone about six weeks too soon, the last thing I want to read is a question about how to prepare for winter.

Mine has sat outside on the deck and now the patio with just the factory cover since 02, no problems with it yet.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Mine has sat outside on the deck and now the patio with just the factory cover since 02, no problems with it yet.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that, only its been 04' for me.

Graham,

I have had no problem with the WSM sitting out with just the Weber cover on it. I put it close to the house and the wind has not bothered it.

Ray

I guess due to our mild winters here in WA...I use mine year round even in the rain. I do not slow down 1 bit during the winter. I also think BBQ and NFL are a perfect match as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I forgot to mention that my 22.5" Master Touch has been outside uncovered for over 10 years now. Through blazing hot summers, a Hurricane/tropical storm or two and winter time NorEasters here in PA. It's still in great shape also.
icon_biggrin.gif

If I don't have some grilled chicken in December, some ribs and brisket in January and February, I might as well go into hibernation until April. Have no intention of doing that

Here in Houston, I was just thinking it was time to take my WSM out of summer storage. June - Sept are oppressively hot and humid, not to mention the occasional tropical storm / hurricane. Oct - May, however, are very nice outdoor months.

I will be honest I keep mine locked up in my shed even in the summer. Pain in the butt to take it out everytime I want to cook but its better than having it walk away on its own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dumb Question - How do you store it now? What's the difference between now and Winter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the moment it is on the patio together with my other Weber toys.

A while back, there was a thread about a particular Suncast storage shed which was determined to be a good fit for a WSM and BBQing accessories. I just got one last month from Lowe's @ $178. It's the model GS2500, aimed at storing large trash cans and yard tools. The WSM does fit in it perfectly if you turn the handle so it fits in a recess in the lid. The footprint is about 3½' x 5'. Shipping weight is about 100 lbs, and it will fit, albeit tightly, in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, if you take out the spare. There's enough additional room for a 18 or 22½" kettle, a couple bags of charcoal (but not in the humidity here), and your chimney, etc. My recollection was that, at the time of that earlier discussion, they were on seasonal close-out for $99. If it happens again, I'm getting a second one.

I realize that might not be of help in Ipswich, but thought I would mention it anyway.

my grill and WSM just sit outside year round with their covers on. We get a few meters of snow every winter here in Calgary, I just sweep them off with the broom before doing the deck. ... No Worries.

I cover my WSM with the cover and a spare cover from the weber grill that started cracking so I replaced it. I have left it on the deck all year for 3 years with no problem.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back