WSM vs Weber 22.5 Kettle

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Great site, I've learned a lot by browsing through the forums. I'm only going to be able to buy one kettle/smoker right now and trying to decide between the WSM and a Weber Kettle. Hope to get some advice here.

From the forums it looks like one can smoke on the kettle and maintain a steady temp without too much trouble for about 7 hours using the Minion Method. I'll probably do most my cooks within that time frame- have too hold off on the pork butt I guess.

It seems the Kettle is far superior for grill usage- steaks, pork tenderloin, chicken parts and whole, etc. Can one get similar results smoking on the Kettle as they can using the WSM?

Thanks from the middle of Lake Erie.

The WSM and Kettle do different things. The WSM is for bbq and the Kettle for grilling. However, the Kettle can be used to bbq (low and slow), but its just not as easy as the WSM. Likewise, the WSM can be used for grilling, its just doesn't do as good a job as the Kettle. So, it really depends on what you want to do.

May I suggest a another option? Buy the WSM and a small inexpensive table top grill like the Weber Smokey Joe. Thus, you can make great bbq and also grill. That is what I did. You will not regret buying the WSM and you can always ask for a the 22.5" Kettle for Fathers Day or your Birthday if you want more grilling capacity later.

Maintaing temp on a kettle is much more difficult than on a WSM. This is true even for the shorter smokes of 7 hrs. However, if you don't mind, the extra tending, it can be done.

I've never done much grilling on the WSM because I've always had a kettle or gasser which was more convenient. Others on this forum report doing it without too much trouble.

Dave Lewis had a good thought on a WSM plus a Smokey Joe. If you could put a few more $s into it you could get the larger portable and have more surface area for grilling.

While you can smoke on the kettle you'll be very limited in the space available because of the configuration for the indirect cooking.

If you expect to do regular smoking for 4 or more people I suggest you go with the WSM. Truthfully, there are a lot of inexpensive charcoal grills you can grill on, but there is really nothing the equal of a WSM for low slow cooking in that price range.

PRG

get the wsm. look in the modifications section of this site and you will see that you can make a pretty good grill with it. if you get something hot enough and watch it, it's kinda hard to goof up grilling. if you want to smoke, there's a lot more to it and the wsm makes it very easy.

plink plink (my two cents)

I'd go for the WSM, personally. My experiences with grilling a steak on the WSM and Smokey Joe are mixed, but the WSM was better. I have a Smokey Joe I've used twice. I can't get a decent sear on my steaks, even with a full bowl of charcoal. I think it's a matter of air flow under the coals. The WSM can be used for grilling and IMO does a better job than the Smokey Joe.

Of course I also have a Weber 22 1/2" Platinum for serious grilling or rotisserie. But, for cooking one steak for myself, I don't bother to fire up the WSM or SJ anymore. I *urp* gas it. Shameful I know, but it's quick.

I agree with the others. The money is better spent on the WSM. It's a very versitile machine and nothing will make better bbq at twice the price. I've not grilled on it but I have to believe that the WSM will grill much better then the Kettle will bbq.....But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.

Ed, don't be too embarrassed about using the gasser. I have a weber gas grill and use it more then the stove. I just got a new manifold for it so that I could convert it to NG. Got tired of exchanging LP bottles.

I would, without hesitation, get the WSM. I would then try to pick upa cheaper charcoal grill or a Smokey Joe until you could afford the Weber kettle or until your lovely wife gets it for you as a Father's Day present, as mine did last year.

Put In Bay!! Great place!! Bought my boat in Sandusky and brought it back by water. What a great place to live!!

Tough choice between the one or the other. i use my kettle more than I use my WSM as I like to do a fair amount of steaks and I love my rotisserie attachment.

The WSM is unique in that it really will produce food that you just cannot produce on a kettle with out great difficulty if at all.

I like the idea posted of getting a cheapo knockoff for a grill and get the WSM (it sure beats gettting a cheap somoker as many of us can attest to they are a aste of money and charcoal and aggravation) The WSM has to get my vote but it sure is a tough choice.

After about a month of owning my WSM I dumped my old beat-up Sunbeam grill and have not regretted the decision. The WSM has done a great job of filling in as a grill.

Keep in mind the size of the WSM's cooking surface. We're a family of four and there's enough grill space for me to do 6 decent-sized burgers without crowding.

If I had to pick only one, I'd go with the WSM.

I'm afraid you'll just have to get both. Don't argue with me now. Just go get them both! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But if you MUST choose, then buy the WSM first, then the kettle second. Again, you will be buying both eventually.

For me, I use them both about equally. Like to use my Kettle for steaks and tri-tip and tenderloin and chicken. I prefer chicken on the kettle to a WSM.

There are guys who win contests here in CA with briskets and butts done on the Kettle. But as others have stated, temp control takes more effort. The WSM is just superior in that sense. It's really an incredible cooker. So simple, yet so amazing.

Mike why hold off on Pork Butt? Just because you have 7 hours makes no difference. I could boast about the awards I've won for Brisket and Pork Butts cooked with foil in under 7 hours but we don't want to go there /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
One thing I do after cooking is a long hold wrapped in a towel in a small dry cooler. Long is measured in hours.
Whole Beef Sirloin is done in 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours without the use of foil and many people think you are serving them Prime Rib.
Enjoy

Here are my thoughts as somone who Q'ed on a kettle for six months before getting a WSM. If you have never done low and slow and are just getting into it, get a kettle. Reason is that the kettle is awesome for grilling and it works really well for BBQ as well. The major advantage to the WSM is the capacity and it is a little easier to keep at a constant temperature. However, if you are just starting to BBQ, I doubt you are going to need any more capacity than what the kettle can give you. This will give you a chance to hone your skills and enjoy some great grilling and great BBQ. As most of the experts will tell you (I do not consider myself one of them), you can make great Q on anything as long as you understand the process. Eventually when you have done enough cooks and more people hear about your food, you will know it is time to get a WSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back