WSM vs Stickburner

G

I own both a WSM and a Cookshack electric model - both are great in their own way esp the WSM. Never used an offset (stickburner) but want to learn - how are they fueled? Is it a combination of charcoal and wood in firebox like a WSM or is it straight wood logs?

How would you compare using a WSM to a stickburner?

If you are interested in a stick burner, I would recommend looking into a Traeger pellet smoker instead. I want one to my bbq arsenal so bad I can hardly stand it. "Wife just doesnt seem to understand why in the world I would need another grill" A friend of mine has one and there is very little effort to use it. For the money, you still cant beat the WSM for low n slow.
DP
DP

Unless you go to a very expenive offset, I think you'll find temp control to be a big problem; certainly compared to the WSM. They do have an appeal and I've had one in the past. Incidentally, I also have a Cookshack - the smaller one. I really don't enjoy using it much, so the WSM is my main player.

IMO the offset just requires too much attention to maintain the temps and the WSM requires much less attention, uses less fuel and cooks and ample quanity for my needs.

Paul

Brian, for a great FAQ about starting out on various styles of smokers, go take a look at the BBQ-Porch FAQ. LOTS of excellent instructional material there gleaned from several years of posts.

Robert and I have a trailer-mounted stick burner and 2 WSMs, and I use the WSMs a lot more often than the stick burner. The stick burner is an Oklahoma Joe's clone, homemade by a neighbor of ours and sold to us after he had used it for seven or eight years. It isn't a fancy rig by any means, but it is built very well - 1/4 inch steel pipe all 'round, 20" firebox, 48" horizontal cooking chamber, and a 48" vertical cooking chamber, all mounted on a horse trailer frame. BUT - it's still an offset, and, as such, needs more attention than the WSMs. It's great for times when you're cooking with friends around, and you're just sitting around the smoker telling lies and tending the fire every half hour. Also great for hauling to a campout for feeding larger groups, or for pulling into service when the two WSMs don't give enough capacity. Many of my cooking sessions are overnighters with the goal in mind of getting the food cooked well, and the attention needed by the offset negates the partial night's sleep that I can get with the WSMs. That being said, it does do some might fine ribs and turkeys. I've never done butt or brisket on it, as I use the WSM's for those items.

We start the fire in the offset with a chimney full of flaming charcoal, and feed it with 1/4 to 1/8 split logs from 10 to 18 inches long. Depending on how the bed of coals is looking, we may add some lump during the cook - the goal at all times is to have a very small but hot and clean burning fire, usually no more than two splits burning at a time, on a good thick bed of hot coals. Oak seems to make the best coals - some other woods burn straight to ash and don't make the coal bed that you want. We use mostly pecan, although our big woodpile out back includes pecan, hickory, apple, and peach.

If you get an offset, get one bigger than you think you'll ever need, and get one that you can haul behind a vehicle or on a trailer. I know that, personally, were we to sell our current offset, I'm pretty sure that I'd go either for a Lang offset, although I've been lusting after a Cookshack FE-100 pellet muncher . Another one in my sights is a Backwoods Competitor. I'd love a Klose or even one of Jamie Geer's incredible Jambo smokers, but I unfortunately have champagne tastes and a beer budget

Fun thing is to go to a cookoff on Friday night (not Saturday morning when tension is high), wander around, and talk to some of the competitors about their smokers. It's a great way to get a education on the different offsets and how they work.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
(who STILL can't write a short post to save her life...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I unfortunately have champagne tastes and a beer budget </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. My only hope...the lottery!

Spent a lot of time with a guy last year who used the Backwoods, i like it...kind of a rectangular WSM. I met an Old Hickory over the weekend...like you said a beer buget!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Unless you go to a very expenive offset, I think you'll find temp control to be a big problem; certainly compared to the WSM. They do have an appeal and I've had one in the past. Incidentally, I also have a Cookshack - the smaller one. I really don't enjoy using it much, so the WSM is my main player.

IMO the offset just requires too much attention to maintain the temps and the WSM requires much less attention, uses less fuel and cooks and ample quanity for my needs.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul I own a small NBBD offset as well as a WSM .These models have gone downhill but i was lucky to get one a year or two before they started going to the thin metal and cheap manufacturing. Granted they wont burn all night on one load but i can easily get a consistent fire and a good 6 hr burn from mine using a charcoal basket which i had made for me. I pretty much use my WSM for butts and everything else i throw on the offset. I much prefer the taste of ribs and brisket on the offset. But you are right they do require more attention but i wouldnt say temp control is a big problem. It wont match the WSM as far as overnight burns though..thats for sure

I have a couple Klose trailer rigs available when I feel the urge to fire tend (which isn't often). A well constructed offset is fun to cook on but the dollars are very different from what we are spending on WSMs (the 2 Kloses are $12000 to $15000). We do a lot catering and vending and you think with 2 pits like that they would be used but the Traeger mobile is much convenient than the offsets so they have become show pits more often than not.
Jim

The WSM is probably better than most of the offsets on the market; especially on the 'affordable' end of the scale.

Most offsets need a few modifications to help control the temp better. I have a pdf file with the mods outlined of you decide to purchase an offset.

Most of the offsets do not do at all well if you burn logs. You really need to use charcoal for your heat source and just a few chunks of wood for smoke. Some people will burn wood down to coals in a separate fire pit and add them to the smoker. Seems like a lot of bother and expense for nothing, to me.

Barbeques Galore has a decent offset for about $220. The metal is thicker than most of the competition. My buddy who came up with the mods has worked with their product desigeners and they are supposed to start incorporating his mods in the smoker sometime this spring. If I were goiong to buy an offset, I would wait for that new model and get it.

But, like you, I have a Smokin Tex (almost identical to the Cookshack) and a WSM. I have no need whatsoever for an offset smoker. Personally, I think the WSM is better than the offsets.

MVC-480S-3.jpg

And, no, no wildlife was harmed at this campout/cookout. Those are turkeys bound for the fryer, and the wild goose chase with the smoker in the picture was just intentionally staged to go along with this shot. That's my Friend Husband there with the birds, to whom I've been gleefully espoused for 25 years come this August 1st. Dat man do LUV to fry dem turkeys, true dat!
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks a ton for the info guys - exactly what I was looking for - appreciate your time.

TNB, I'm burning all logs right now (a mix of hickory and apple on some early morning butts) in my Klose offset. You can go with any one of a number of options. All wood. Wood with charcoal. Wood with gas. All charcoal. Or, all gas. It really depends on just what you are trying to achieve and just how lazy are you feeling. Klose makes a basket for charcoal that , they claim, will last over 6 hours. I use mostly wood so I wouldn't know personally
icon_wink.gif
All in all, having cooked on both a quality offset, and an upright bullet style (brand X ), I would much prefer the offset. I have not used a WSM though and hear nothing but good things about them ! Woodman

Back