WSM vs. Smoker with offset firebox

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

All this is new to me, and I will add very interesting. I am a fulltime RVer and use the Weber Baby Q 100 and love it. I am setting up my RV pad in Texas and will have a spot for a larger setup. I am getting a Weber Q 300 and a smoker. I am considering the WSM.

What are the merits of the WSM vs. something like the Charbroil American Gourmet with the offset firebox? Years ago I used a bullett style smoker (Brinkmann, I believe) and enjoyed it.

Hey Barry:

Never used an offset. My first smoker was a Brinkmann aka ECB (el cheapo brinkman). I wanted a smoker and it was all I could afford. I turned out some occasionally good grub as well as some commendable shoe leather. The lack of fire control was probably the most frustrating aspect of ownership. Long cooks were out of the question. I kept running across references to the WSM, but it was out of my price range.

Then, oh happy day, a WSM showed up at Goodwill. Didn't have a door, but I snatched it up and called Weber. They promptly sent me the missing part and I was off to the races.

Compared to the ECB, this thing is a technological masterpiece. With the minion method, I have finally learned to relax and sleep on those overnight cooks. I have done all the things that used to scare me; whole turkey, ribs, brisket, whole chicken. It's been a revelation. My son and I rarely go out for Q anymore, since we have so much at home. I wouldn't put my Q up against the best in Seattle, (fyi: Pecos Pit and/or Home of Good BBQ), but I've equalled if not surpassed the quality of many of the local restaurants. The WSM and this site make it VERY easy.

Hope this helps.

As opposed to an offset...more fuel efficient, your pit temps are easier to control, hot spots within the cooking chamber are not as bad. Will take up less space in your RV and comes with a cover. Overnight cooks with sleep!!!

I'm comparing the WSM to the smaller cheaper offsets. There are some mighty fine offsets out there, that many of us here would like to have, but for the money its hard to beat a WSM.

Number one reason for a WSM....THIS SITE....the support as you can see is unbelievable!!!!

The big difference is the ability to maintain a low, steady temp with very little effort, with the WSM. Certainly the more expensive offsets (a lot more expensive), do a better job of temp control, but i would question if they can match the WSM. What they can do, however, is give additional cooking capacity.

Paul

My first 5 years of BBQ was all done on an offset. Then I got the WSM. I use it MUCH more than the offset due to the stability and ease of use with consistent top knotch products.

I travel, camp and compete out of a motorhome several times a year and my WSM go with me everytime. It rides perfect in the shower for me.

I have not used a offset but for RV travels the WSM is going to hard to beat. Temp controls are great and allows freedom to sleep or other actitivies during the day. I usually start a meal in the late morning and just let it cook all day by itself while we are out playing or hiking and get back and it's done.

Randy

Welcome Barry,

For the money, the WSM is hard to beat. It has great cooking capacity for its size; 4 butts or 2 briskets. Fantastic temp control, burns lump or briquettes, quality construction. And it comes with a the best support site out there!

I have a Chargriller offset.

You will save a lot of money in fuel alone by getting a wsm.

I now use my offset as a big grill and as a place to burn excess bark and other scrap wood.

I spent a fair amount of time researching the pros and cons of various smokers when I finally decided it was time to move up from the ECB. The main problems I saw in the relatively inexpensive offset smokers were poor quality materials, lots of air leaks, and poor design. Many if not most needed serious mods to make them work as they should.

http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/07-2-2.htm

On the other hand the expensive smokers (Klose etc. ~$1K and above), looked fantastic. So, for the bucks, IMHO the WSM is a fantastic buy – quality materials, great design. The only mods I have made are the ceramic dish and a Taylor thermometer in the top vent (although my Maverick ET-73 just arrived from Amazon - time for an all night cook
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Thanks for all the replies. I always thought the offset would burn only hardwoods like hickory and mesquite and the "barrells" used charcoal. I guess I was wrong.

Cant you put soaked woodchips in the WSM?

Another thing, it's just my wife and I and I dont see us cooking for a large group. On the rare occassion we do, there would no more than 6-8 people.

Can the WSM also be used a charcoal grill?

Thanks again, I am several Yahoo groups and along with these boards, there is an abundence of information.

Barry

Cant you put soaked woodchips in the WSM?

You certainly can, but wood chunks are much easier to use and work better. Just bury a couple in the charcoal ring, put a couple on top, and they provide all the smoke you need throughout a long cook. No reason to keep feeding wood chips for 12 hours.

Don't buy another Brinkmann, buy a WSM. Buy a large, quality offset only if you plan on feeding huuuuge groups of people.

The WSM can be used as a small grill, though its a low profile (low to the ground) grill like a hibachi.

Plus, as a bonus to owning a WSM you're never on your own because of this site. Here you have an entire site dedicated to this one smoker plus. All of it, mods, recipes, how to, forum...etc. That's the main reason I purchased a WSM. Just poking around I found this site. Started reading and reading and thought, I can do this. I hate putting a lot of effort into something and getting little in return. My time is valuable and if I'm going to fart around with something for 18 hours it better turn out excellent. If it doesn't I need answers. I come here for my answers. I have the patience to cook but not to experiment forever trying to get something right. Folks here did the trial and error long before I even heard of the WSM.

OK, OK, OK, I'm sold.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I think you guys work for Weber.

So....if I have a Baby Q for my motorhome, and the Q 300 and WSM for my RV pad. I should be good to go. I dont need a kettle also, do I?

BTW, my RV pad is in Rockport, TX if anybody is in the that or the Corpus Christi area.

Barry

Back