WSM vs King Ranch kettle

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi, Great forum. I have been a lurker here for the past year getting some great tips, but I lack the equipment. For a while I had an offset smoker that I never got great results with and required a lot of attention. It is now in the scrap heap.

This spring I will be looking at either a WSM or the ranch kettle. I know we are not comparing apples to apples, but if you had a choice, and money wasn't a huge issue, which would you get and why.

I love the fact that the WSM can go for so long without too much attention. Can I get those results with the Monster kettle. I do like the size of the ranch kettle for larger items.

Decisions Decisions.
Thanks for reading.
John

I think it's apples and oranges as well.

I love my WSM, but it's a specialized piece of equiment that does a great job of making real BBQ. I have no expectation that the WSM would be good for grilling for a large group of people.

I think the ranch kettle would also be specialized. Great for grilling large cuts or grilling for large groups.

It all depends on what you want. I wouldn't expect to buy a kettle and get great BBQ. I also don't expect to be able to grill much of anything on the WSM. Each CAN be used for the other but that's not what they're primarily intended for.

Be careful buying the WSM because you'll get hooked fast!

There are people that do low and slow on their Ranch Kettles in contests and score well. It can easily be set up for low and slow but I don't expect it would be as fuel efficient or worry free as the WSM.

Hi John.

1st off, welcome to the board! There’s a wealth of information here as well as on the main site.

I have both, the WSM and the RK and while I don’t feel qualified to answer your question, I don’t believe there are many members that are, soooo, I’ll give my 2¢.

I grill a lot more than I BBQ. I’ve grilled a couple times on my WSM and I’ve BBQ’d a few times on my RK. I’ve even gone so far as to set my RK up with a BBQ Guru. I haven’t had fantastic results BBQ’ing on the RK (yet) and I haven’t had fantastic results grilling on the WSM either. Each is made for a purpose and they are very good at it. That doesn’t mean you can’t do well. I plan to continue learning to BBQ on the RK in the Spring but since I have a few better alternatives for grilling, I doubt I’ll ever try to grill on the WSM again. Q’ing on the RK is not going to be a carefree session like it is on the WSM ~ It’s going to take some of your time just like your offset did. There are many posts on this board concerning the RK, several of them from Konrad Haskins, who owns 3 of them. He has BBQ’d whole hogs on them as well as butts and more. Search the archives for his posts ~ It’s worth the reading.

Now, my question is: If money isn’t a huge issue, why not get both? The WSM can still be purchased for just over $200 and I bought my RK for around $800 last Spring. Some have gotten it for less.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JohnnyH:

I love the fact that the WSM can go for so long without too much attention. Can I get those results with the Monster kettle.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple answer to your question.

No!

icon_frown.gif

JimT

I saw Raichen do a brisket on a King Ranch on BBQU this week. He said he did have to replentish his coals every hour or so during the cook. Chalk that up to one more difference between these two lovely beasts.

I've got both, but if I could have only one, it would be the WSM. Bottom line, I won't be without the WSM. However, if money isn't an issue, then get both. You've obviously got space or you wouldn't be considering a RK.

My 2 cents ...

Paul

Thanks for all the input so far. Space I have. All thought I said money is not the largest issue, I want to make a smart decision. This will be a treat for myself, and wife since she loves pulled pork and great ribs!

If I think can get real barbeque out of the Ranch kettle, I will probably go that route. The room available for lots of indirect is nice, plus the capability to do dirct grilling. I have a Summit D4 platinum for grilling as well.

The price point and easier, longer cooks on the WSM lures me in that direction.

Still undecided on this one. I'd rather not get both.

I don't have much to add beyond the advice you've already read. Bill summed up my opinion well. If your priority is good BBQ, get the WSM. If you plan to grill a lot, get the RK. If you have the cash, get both. I have both
icon_smile.gif

Keep an eye on eBay for a good deal on a RK and you can afford both.

Good luck.

I dont have an RK but I have a 22 1/2 kettle. Man that RK is huge. It would be perfect for me.
With that said I say that a WSM is probably best for getting sleep on all nighters and a Ranch Kettle is better for indirect grilling which makes both of them worth having, if you cook large quantitys. If you dont plan on huge cooks, I would get a 22 1/2 kettle and a WSM but if money isnt an issue, then Bill is right, get both. Either way, you cant go wrong with Weber. Really good quality stuff for the price.

Just my opinion of course.

Back