WSM Vs. Charbroil Offset

stu black

So I've had my WSM for almost 1 year. I've smoked Ribs, Chicken, Turkey, and Brisket. Overall, I'm happy with the WSM.
I recently purchased a Charbroil smoker with Offset fire box for $35 at a yard sale. I was curious to see how it stacked up against the WSM.
I smoked Ribs on it the first day I bought it, and smoked a whole Chicken on it this past weekend. I have to admit, it performs well.
It does run a bit hotter than the WSM. It doesn't hold as much as the WSM. But I didn't have to use as much Fuel, and it seems to smoke better. One complaint I have with the WSM, not enough smoke, even when I use the Standard method with 6-8 soaked wood chunks. Also, the Charbroil is a bit more user friendly in regards to adding more fuel and checking the meat.
I'll still use the WSM along with the Charbroil, but If you haven't tried the offset fire box Horizontal smoker, I would reccomend it. I still love Weber....Smoke on..

I agree... no need to limit yourself to only one smoker (even if you got the best one the first time around).
icon_smile.gif

It has been a while since I had an offset, but they can be fun to use and produce good product. I would agree that you can deposit more smoke using the offset. Also, for shorter, daytime cooks, adjustments and adding fuel can be fun. I think the WSM really excels in its ability to hold low temps over very long periods of time with very little adjusting, to wit: overnight butt cooks.

Glad you're enjoying both.

Paul

Stu,
I have 2 WSMs and 2 offsets (yet to use the latest). I cut my teeth on the offset, but prefer to cook on the WSM. Biggest reasons? Way easier fire control and no hot spot with the WSM. My offset is over 80 degrees hotter at the firebox than at the chimney. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have one or both of the offsets converted to reverse flow which should eliminate the hot spots. Then I'll go back to using the offsets more.
Fun having different kinds of cookers, isn't it?

Thanks for the Imput Guys...yea, It's fun to use both and try out new Methods, Recepies, etc.
I see your point with the WSM's ability to hold the Temp low for really long smokes..I've only been smoking about a year..my first few efforts weren't the best, but I'm turning out some tasty Offerings these days...the Apple Smoked Chicken I did on Sat. was a Huge hit...BBqing has really turned into a huge passion for me over the last few years..now I'm Hungry...Regards, Stu

I have both a Brinkmann offset Snp Pro, and a WSM and must say that I am surprised that you have found the WSM to use more fuel. I have had the opposite experience with the WSM using less than half the amount of fuel for a long cook?

I wonder why we differ so much on this?

I'm like Clark, I started on a New Braunfuls offset and just plain wore the thing out. That was before I had internet access. Wouldn't mind having another one just to tinker with. I have learned about 10 fold from the various bbq sites as compared to what I knew back then. I do love my WSM's, but an offset would be a lot of fun, now that my sources and knowledge of them has grown so much.

Back