WSM vs Big Green Egg?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone have any opinions (other than cost) regarding the WSM vs the Big Green Egg in terms of producing great barbecue?

Hi Mike, I researched the Egg on their forum and they seem to be happy with them. But, I personally would want more cooking area. I think I'll keep the WSM! Easier to lug around too.

Mark

I looked hard at both, and went so far as to visit the main BGE store in Atlanta. A few things worked in favor of the WSM. They were:

- Cost
- Cooking area
- weight and ease of transportation
- better vents (BGE charges extra for an adjustable top vent)

I am fairly new to smoking. I have had a gas ECB for about 10 years and rarely used it. I was considering the BGE but after several e-mails with a long time and very knowledgeable smoker whom I came in contact with on the BGE forum, I made the decision to get the WSM.
Reasons: Cost, size of cooking surface, and so many rave reviews.

OK I've got hate mail on making this point before but I'll do it again. A Ceramic cooker handles very hig heat better than a WSM. A ceramic cooker will also cook low very well.

They are very heavy!!! They fall over and you have a problem.

A WSM and a one-touch Gold will do 95% of what a Ceramic cooker will do. That combo will cost much less, is lighter and easier to move. Weber is far more damage resistant. Did I mention Weber charges a flat $3 on replacement parts orders!

I'd love to own a Ceramic.

I also checked out both before going with the WSM. My decision was based on all of the above reasons, i.e., cooking service, weight, and price. I also think the WSM is more versatile. It's easier to use and I think has much better control then the BGE. I don't see how the BGE could possibly produce a better product then the WSM, so, for my money the WSM is a much better deal.

Mike, I too went through this decision. Poll: Which came first.....

I'm glad I made the WSM decision. I love the fact if I want to take it along on family or Scout camping trips, I can. No way with a BGE.

Get the WSM. Later, if you want to move up the "food chain", it is still a good investment. Look how many of the WSM owners on this site own an offset cooker.

LOL!! The weight and lack of mobility are big drawbacks to the pottery cookers, and no one can explain to my satisfaction why the ceramic cookers supposidly cook "better." There is a recent thread on a.f.b. on how one poster had to hire professional movers to move his Kamado from one floor to another in his house-- geez! And the shipping costs- people pay $200-$375 just to have them shipped.

Those who use the ceramic cookers seem to like them, but a lot of their comments seem to be efforts to convince others (and thermselves) that they really did get soemthing better for their $$$. As for me, the WSM is about as close to "perfect" as I can imagine, and, given the price, it seems to be a real bargain. Course, it doesn't have pretty tiles, but maybe Chris can start a contest-- "Make the WSM look more expensive" or something like that.

Clark

no one mentioned that you have to open the lid to add fuel or replenish water,bge says no water is needed.or that a divider is needed for indirect cooking.the ceramic fire bowl cracks.there is the burp sequence that should be done to prevent flashbacks on high temp cooks.the bands can work loose and you can chip or break top or bottom half if the locking lid fails to lock or you slam the top down.the gaskets can wear out or even seal the top to the bottom if gotten to hot.even used ceramic cookers are expensive.the wsm is user friendly.you can add smokin wood or fuel if needed without loseing heat,you can drop any part of the wsm.try not to,without fear of shattering it to pieces.the BULLET is BULLET PROOF.

You know what I find refreshing about this topic? The simple fact that we can discuss it!

This type of discussion is actually frowned on at the BGE Forum. Shows me a lack of confidence in the product.

Kudos to Chris! Who allows us the freedom to debate this issue!

Right on, Kevin. And let's not forget the civility of the members of this forum /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kudos to the members as well!

I was looking at the BGE as well before I bought my WSM. Good all around cooker. Excellent for steaks as well since it can create so much heat.
But the cost was way to high for me! If I had that sort of cash to throw around I'd still get one. But I don't.

Also since I've gotten my WSM and realize how much I end up moving it around when I use it. The BGE would be a real pain in the butt.

Ceramic cookers are very good at grilling, pizza and other high temp cooks. Personely I don't feel they are as good at low and slow. It's not that they can't cook at those temps but becuase of their design they require that you use the exhaust for temp control. I can taste the the results of closing down the exhaust.
I was given a number of the oval cooker and my wife found a old BGE she bought for $10. I still do all of my long cooks on my WSMs.
Jim

There is a site selling the BGE for $799.99
And that's without a stand.
For a rolling stand it will cost another $89.99
Shipping is $100.00 + Depending where you live.
Now for the same price, one can buy one of these.

The Weber Ranch Kettle
B00004U9LN.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

You can probably guess which one I would rather have.

Jim C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back