WSM Vent Damage

JPDouglas

Gentlemen:
First time posting. Just received my WSM 22.5" (purchased on EBay). Unit had some bumps and bruises, nothing I can't live with, EXCEPT damage to a bottom vent. Basically, it was bent so that it didn't close correctly. I have bent it back (somewhat).

My question is - how terrible is this? I realize that airflow control is important.

Should I drill out the rivet and bend it back myself? Or, would it be smarter to order a new one from Weber?

Thanks for your help.

WP_20150818_17_06_40_Pro__highres_zpsaqq5nvbc.jpg

Try bending first and see how far you get. If it doesnt work order replacement. They can be found on ebay as well.

I've heard the Weber costumer service is one of the better ones out there. Fortunately I haven't needed to take advantage of that (knocks on wood), but I'd suggest you do that as airflow control are what these babies are all about.

Thanks for the replies - that's basically what I figured. Guess I'll have to postpone my cooking for a few days.

Even if you were to order a replacement, you'd need to drill the rivet out, so I'd say go ahead and drill it out and see if you can straighten the vent. Worst case scenario is you still need to order a replacement, and even in that case it might be straightened good enough you'd feel comfortable going ahead and getting some use out of your new toy.

JP, what were you planning to cook this weekend? Don't postpone your cook. Take a rubber mallet or rag covered hammer and gently try to tap the vent cover back as close as possible.

Even if there is some opening, you can cook whatever you want with no issues. The WSM is new and will likely cook hot no matter what. Your only problem would be when the cook is done, shutting down the cooker may not totally snuff out the coals.

Order a new one if you can't get it to close tight, but you should certainly cook on that bad boy while you are waiting for it. :wsm:

By the way, welcome to the forum and be sure to post some of your cooks in the Photo Gallery.

Regardless of the damage, you can still cook. I'd just set the wheels in motion for a proper fix.

Besides, once it gets up to temp, I typically close 1 vent 100% and set the others, and mine holds steady for hours. (could simply cover the damaged vent and get good results still)

Back