WSM unpacked and ready to cook

Graham Timson

Having introduced myself last week, I thought I would write an update now that my WSM has arrived.

Amazon UK does not sell the WSM so I purchased online from a BBQ retailer called BBQ’s Galore, they seem to have the best prices here in England. After much reading on this incredibly informative web site, I was a little concerned as to the condition it might arrive in but I have to say the box and contents were immaculate. Assembly was easy, with no issues and I plan to try it out on Sunday.

I have decided to do Brisket and a Butt to kick off with. Some of you will be aware that we have had some problems with meat in the UK, particularly Beef. The BSE crisis a few years ago has meant many changes with plenty of rules and regulations concerning the traceability, butchering and selling of Beef and livestock in general.

The supermarkets here sell pre-packaged meats and most butcher meat in-store. British Beef and in particular Scottish Angus are very popular and we all seem to have more confidence in what we are buying now. Brisket is not very popular these days and is always sold completely trimmed, rolled and tied. It is labelled suitable for pot roasting and boiling only. The strange thing is, Brisket forms the main ingredient of a classic British dish from the Victorian era, Boiled Beef and Carrots.

Armed with my newly acquired knowledge from you guys on this site I tackled the butcher at my local supermarket about flats and points and Butts, he looked clueless. I had more success in town with a traditional butcher who said he could provide me with what I needed. Since by law he can only sell Beef that is no older then 24 months, a lot of Brisket is smaller than that generally spoken of here, though he said that he could get a bigger cut if I really needed it. I have settled for an 7 lb packer I think you call it, containing flat and point. My butcher’s definition of a Butt when a showed him the description from this site was. “It’s called blade here mate” So now I’m sorted and ready for Sunday, I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Does anyone know were the complete WSM is manufactured now, I notice a lot of Weber accessories are made in China?

Sorry to have gone on a bit!

Congratulations on the new arrival! It sounds as if you have a butcher you can work with. We'll be looking for a report (with photos, ideally) on Sunday's cook.

Hi Graham...

Congrats on your new cooker. I'm sure your cook will go well. Above all have FUN! If ya run into problems your in the right place... theres tons of great people on here with a boat load of knowledge.

Will be looking forward to hearing how the cook went...

Back