WSM Thermometer

PAT K

Not sure if anyone posted this before, but has anyone had any problems with the thermometer on the new WSM? I swear, no matter what I do, I can't get my temp over 250. The coals are red hot, no water in the pan, vents wide open ( I've also tried adjusting them thinking maybe to much wind is getting in )and meat seems to cook ok, but the thermometer is always reading low, and its frustrating because I'm not sure if I'm cooking at the right temp. I put a remote in to see if it would read the same, and it was about 75 degrees over what the lid thermometer read, but I thought maybe it was because it was just hanging there and touching metal. It seemed to work fine the first few times I used it, now it just seems like it won't go over 250 no matter what I do.

With my first cook, I my probe on the grate read higher then the lid did. The was for the whole cook. At a few points they were about the same, but 99% of the time the grate temp was higher.

I wasnt too concerned as I use a Maverick digital thermometer.

Well I tested the thermometer and it is fine. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong when I start it. It's weird though, that the whole bed of coals is red hot, and the lid temp won't go past 250

Personally, I have never had any success with any OEM thermometers. I just got tired of constant testing & calibrating. Digital only for me now.

Brett

Back