WSM smoken in the rain and cold. (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack H

Smoking 2 pork picknics and a whole brisket in the rain and cold (40's) turned out to be a little interesting. Starting at 6am and pulling at 7pm the lid temp with all vents open 100% never got above 215-225. Charcoal pan heaping full and using the Minion method to start. The poor thing looked like the 'little engine that could' all day. producing clouds of steam. This was my first time using the brinkman charcoal (water) pan and maybe this had an effect.
After 10 hours when I gently stirred the charcoal, a hissing sound was very pronounce I found the charcoal pan was full of water right up to the bottom of the grate. In another couple of hours the water would have put the charcoal out!
Pork and brisket were at 175 when I stopped. The pork was fine but I had to foil and finish the brisket in the oven.
Anybody have any ideas for improving smoken in the rain?
Thanks.

Hi, Jack! Welcome!

As you found out, rain is a killer on these little guys! We got stuck in a horrible rain storm a couple years ago at the Michigan State Championship BBQ event in Grand Rapids.

It was a balmy 90? when the rain poured steady and hard for 45 minutes. We could just see the temps dropping quickly but nothing we could do. Worst finish we ever had!

I can just imagine how COLD rain affected it!

'Bout the only thing you can do is to shelter it. I put mine in the opening of the garage leaving the overhead door open. My neighbor will put his inside the garage near his small garage doorway and then leave that open.

Someone around here fashioned an umbrella that fit perfectly in the handle!

Beautiful area you live in!

Here is what I do.

LinkPhoto

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Just need to get it out of the rain by any method. We always like the rain at contests because we cover our little weber's (3) rain or shine. I have been part of a bunch of rain contests where big smokers get about nocked out.

When it rains and I wanna 'que, I do one of two things...move it to the front porch, where it's covered or move our patio umbrella and stand over to cover it.

I've also used a golf umbrella.
sam

yup,cold rain is hell on a smoke.i keep mine on a covered porch.had to start up a fan when the smoke gets to thick in the humidity and no air movement.also high temps are hard to maintain.the fan not only moved the smoke out but it also helped to fan the coals at the same time.

I just do mine in the garage with the door open. Not in but just far enough in to where the rain wont hit it.
If I do an all nighter I'll put it under my front stoop. It's shelterd by a small roof above it. But still not the greatest. Get wet tending to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back