WSM running hot??

J. Garrett

I did my first cook with my BBQ Guru Digi Q tonight and my Pitt ran hot all night. I set the Digi Q to 240 and it came to temp but just kept going. The fan never ran after the initial temp rise. I used the minion method using 12 lit coals to get started. Any idea why the temps would be so high? I don't think I have a air leak anywhere?

How many times have you used your WSM before? If this is your first time, it will take a few cooks to close the minor leaks.

Can you extinguish out the charcoals by closing all the vents? If no, then there are air leaks.

What did you cook? 275 for butts isn't bad, it'll just cook faster.

I found using my CyberQ wifi and shooting for 250°F that the vent on the fan has to be open about 50% or a little less and the top vent on my Big Steel Keg closed most of the way. I would first check for leaks like Russell said then do a test run and experiment with the vent settings.

My WSM has been used several times. This was just the first with a temp controller. I had the air damper closed to 50% on the fan. I cooked ribs and they turned out pretty good. It was just hotter than I wanted. I had the top vent totally open.

Keep closing the fan damper until the temperature only rises when the fan is running.
The top vent should always be open 100%.

Realize this is an old thread but felt I needed to respond. Been running with various Guru products for 6 or 7 years now.

Honestly? I shoot for 225 and normally can hold it pretty close. Even though I run waterless.

I run 50% or less on the bottom damper and the top vent 100% closed.

Only times I open the top vent are if I'm shooting for a high temperature cook or am cooking in temps below freezing.

Understand the arguments about opening the top vent to prevent creosote formation but truthfully I find I get enough airflow just through the natural leaks in the WSM without it. Have never ever had a problem.

That's interesting Rob. I don't run a temp controller but have also heard/read to ALWAYS leave the top vent 100% open. I don't. It's always open more than the bottom vents but I do close it up to 50% to get to the temp I'm looking for. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made it adjustable.

I always smoked with it open before I started using the guru too. There was no way to keep the coals lit without it open at least a little.

Not sure why but as I recall when I started using the guru the instructions called for 100% closed. Been doing it that way ever since.

Only exception I can think of was this February/January when I was cooking in a blizzard that was preceded by a rain storm. [miserable cook. struggled all night to keep the temps up but it was a great brisket. ;)

Back