WSM running high

Status
Not open for further replies.
hrmm, just put 2 butts on this morning, and i cant get the temp below 248 at the top and at the grill (wierd my temp at the dome = temp at the grate) measured with a thermocouple...
anyhow only 1 vent open at like 10% and it stuck at 249...guess its not too big of a deal..but wierd...used minionmethod...

jason

I wouldn't be trying to fight the temp down at only 248?. In fact, I would open some vents and let the temp rise to 275 or so. You won't hurt the butts and you might get them done in time for dinner.

Steve

bah..its not a big deal at all..i'm not trying anyhthing..i'm letting it go at 250... i dont care if its ready for dinner..every time i make butts i take them off befre they reach 190 and they are never as pullable as i want them because people are always hungry. This time there are no guests. i'm leaving the butts on as long as it takes/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hey Jason,

I am a newby myself, but this website has catapolted me into where I believe to have figured some of the secrets to all of this. For pork butts, as well as brisket, I will from now on cook over night as I did last weekend. Had a 5lb. butt and was smokin' at 11:00 p.m. Woke up once @ 5:00 a.m. basted and turned. Now for the interesting part, watching the temperature plateaus and how long it takes from 160 to 170 to 180. Putting all of this together, Konrad Haskins said it best in one of his posts. It is not the size of the meat, it is the connective tissue that takes the time to break down. At those temps, the fat is also rendering out cooling the meat. I did that overnighter last weekend and it took 17 and a half hours to get my butt up to the magic 190 - 195 range. It just takes alot of time and overnight is the only way to do this.

You really ought to try higher temps, if you don't want to do an overnighter. The butt turns out just as good (maybe better), and takes less time. If I don't do an overnighter, I just run the temp up to 275? or so, with water in the pan. This cuts cooking time and has no adverse effect on the meat.

Steve

I don't even try to time butts for dinner. I just cook 'em the day before. Throw four butts on, cook 'em til they're done. Take 'em off, wrap 'em in foil. Put one in the fridge for the next day's dinner and three in the freezer. Just put the foiled butt in a 300 degree oven for a couple hours and voila!

The frozen butts make a really easy meal. Takes two days to defrost in the fridge, then pop 'em in the oven for a couple hours to heat 'em up. Quick and easy Q for a rainy day.

I'm going to do 4 butts this Friday. I'm going to throw them on about 7am and let them go until they're done. I'll pull them that night and store them in foodsaver bags. This worked wonderfully for me last time. All I did was put the bags in cool water then slowly bring that water to boiling to reheat the pork. Doing this will hopefully keep me from smoking overnight and still have some good BBQ for this weekend's cookout.

Ed, i had 2 7 lb. butts, i put them on at 7:15am, and finally took them off at 12:30am. They hit 200deg., they are outstanding.
kept grill temp at about 240-250.

jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back