WSM question, butt or brisket on top?

Chuck Davis

I always did butts and briskets side by side on my stick burners, but now I have a WSM. I've done both on it but not together.
Question is: do you put the brisket on top to drip on the butt, or do you put the butt on top to drip on the brisket? My initial thought is brisket on top, but what do I know?

Some help would sure be appreciated.

Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
I do brisket on top and butt on bottom, mainly because the butt takes no attention IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed

Neither! That's the excuse I used for getting my 2nd WSM!
icon_biggrin.gif

Otherwise, I agree, brisket on top.

I've always been a Brisket over Butts kinda guy (mostly for the reason Glen W points out). As well, I tend to cook butts longer than briskets. That said, Konrad makes a heck of a point there--and I'm planning on taking his class this summer!--so consider this the first lesson learned! Butts over Briskets!
icon_rolleyes.gif

The advice I received was to place the butts on top because they would likely be done first. I don't think you will notice any appreciable difference with butts above or below. I would make my choice based on which piece of meat I would want easier access. My preference when I've cooked both is butts on top and the brisket below with the fat cap down.

One other point, at least with my WSM, my top grate is hotter than the lower grate. Since I'm choosing to cook the brisket low and slow instead of the high-heat method, butts give me more margin of error than brisket flat (not so much the point).

Back