WSM Placement

JimS

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

New member here from northeastern NJ. Purchased a WSM a few weeks ago and have a question about placement. I rent in a duplex but even though I have the bottom floor, it's raised up off the ground level quite a bit. At the back of the house, the only door opens from the kitchen onto a wooden deck. The deck for the second floor apt. is built directly on top of the first floor deck. I have been using my Weber gas grill there for several years with no problems. But I'm wondering if it's not a good idea to use the WSM there for 2 reasons. First, I'm using actual charcoal and second, the base of the unit would sit pretty low and close to the wooden floor of the deck. There is a small concrete pad on the lawn that looks like it's there specifically for a grill, but in order to get to it, I have to walk out my back door, over to the far right corner of the deck, walk down several steps, then walk on the lawn all the way to the left side of the deck. Not a big deal, but not ideal either. Is there anyone out there that's using a WSM on a wooden deck? Or is the general consensus that it should be done a safe distance away from any wooden structure?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jim

I have been using my WSM - all of my grills - on a wooden deck for years. Heat rises. That said, don't place the hot charcoal starter on the deck, not the lid (if hot). Kind of obvious but... . If you prefer, get an oil drip tray from an auto supply store. Cheap, and it will hold the WSM and the lid. Or, alternatively, get some attractive quarry tiles from a home supply store and fashion something simple for cooker and lid from them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I have been using my WSM - all of my grills - on a wooden deck for years. Heat rises. That said, don't place the hot charcoal starter on the deck, not the lid (if hot). Kind of obvious but... . If you prefer, get an oil drip tray from an auto supply store. Cheap, and it will hold the WSM and the lid. Or, alternatively, get some attractive quarry tiles from a home supply store and fashion something simple for cooker and lid from them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understand about not placing the hot charcoal starter, etc. down on the wood. The idea of quarry tiles or something similar crossed my mind as well. The fact that you've been using your WSM on wooden deck for years makes me feel a lot better. I'd really prefer to cook on both the grill and smoker at the same time and in the same location. Thanks for your response!

What I did was I went to Home Depot and got a water heater drip pan, the 22" variety. I like it because it's a little bigger than most oil pans for the WSM to sit on. I also have a oil pan, but I use it to help catch ashes falling out during the chimney transfer from my regular grill to smoker. Lastly I have 3 garden bricks I use to set the lid of the smoker on so it's not directly on my deck. There are lots of options and ideas out there, don't let the wood deck hold you back.

As stated above, there are many ways to prevent damaging the wood deck/starting a fire when using the WSM on a deck. It is more difficult in selecting a placement that doesn't interfere with your neighbor's use of his deck above you. Perhaps cooking something for him might make him more understanding when he smells smoke.

Here's what I do. The ECB in the picture has been replaced with my WSM. The bricks on the left are where I start my chimney. Never had a problem.
4470489359_84b62b715a.jpg

Off topic, but the umbrella has been replaced by a large beach umbrella.

@Andy_E: I like the idea of the water heater drip pan!

@Randy B: Luckily, the upstairs neighbors never use their deck. But it did occur to me that if they ever did want to use it and I was smoking, it would be unbearable. Up till now I have used a foil pouch filled with wood chips placed on the burners of my gas grill and it creates enough smoke to definitely cause a problem if anyone wanted to use the 2nd floor deck.

@Lew: Wow...a picture is definitely worth 1000 words. Are the bricks mortared together at all?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimS:
@Andy_E: I like the idea of the water heater drip pan!

@Randy B: Luckily, the upstairs neighbors never use their deck. But it did occur to me that if they ever did want to use it and I was smoking, it would be unbearable. Up till now I have used a foil pouch filled with wood chips placed on the burners of my gas grill and it creates enough smoke to definitely cause a problem if anyone wanted to use the 2nd floor deck.

@Lew: Wow...a picture is definitely worth 1000 words. Are the bricks mortared together at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No mortar. I move them once in a while so as not to create permanent stains on the deck.

Back