WSM or Kettle for my Thanksgiving bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art R

TVWBB Super Fan
I have both arrows in my quiver. I've read many posts about the WSM methods yielding good birds, but sometimes with rubbery skin.

I've used my kettle in the past and had good result - with very little effort.

I am looking for birds on sale now, so I can to a test run on the WSM. Any definitive advice?

Wanting crispy skin and some smoke taste too...

AR

Art, this is still my favorite method. I already have five requests for one of these for Thanksgiving time, and 2 for Christmas time. Pretty dependable, and downright tasty. Some of ya'll are going to get tired of seeing this - it's "an oldie but a goodie".

Hot-smoked apple/honey brined turkey

MVC-489F-A.jpg

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri,

Magnifique!

Thanks for the link. If I can make my turkey look like the one in the pictures, I"ll be a hero. I look forward to trying one in the next couple of weeks.

I take it your bird was natural to start, prior to the brine?

AR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... Wanting crispy skin and some smoke taste too ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Art, if you have a rotisserie suitable for your kettle & the bird, say fresh 12lb, you might consider going that way and throw a little smoke wood in. I think the self basting keeps the fat on it and sort of fries the skin plus you get good skin all the way around, not just on 2/3 like you do with roasting in a pan. Check this thread out.

I have done 8lb chickens (not brined) on my gasser with a rotisserie and the results have been outstanding. I'm sure brined would be even better.

Oh, one more thing Art, this is probably obvious but if you plan on foiling and resting your bird for any amount of time, if you had crisp skin to start with you won't when you unwrap it.

Remove any crispy skin you wish to eat before you foil the bird.

Keri,
You gave me the reciepe I was wanting for thanksgiving. Can't wait to try it. Will that same brine and reciepe work with a 6 lb. turkey breast?

Thanks
Nick P.

OK, I got to throw in a third option...Deep Frying after a nice bath in a brine...never had a better bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back