WSM - needed in Ottawa Ontario Canada.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

The owner of this list suggested I post a message here to find out if anyone can help me with a distributer for the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM smoker)for Canada - in Ottawa Ontario.

I've been on a the www.barbecueforum.com and Rocky over there told me to head over here as there were numerous Canadians that own that smoker, anyway much appreciated if anyone can give me some info on it, - and a ballpark price.

I am in an area where i've never seen a smoker in my life, and not a soul I know even knows that smokers exist..... it's a little depressing this magic they called "BBQ" hasn't made it to Canada.

Anyway I look forward to hearing from any and all of you :-)

Mark.
you can email me at bbq@powershotgraphics.com

thanks much in advance for your time :-)!

Hi Mark,

I purchased my WSM at The Home Depot a few years back for $CAN 279.00.I had to special order it. My local Home Depot in St. Catharines has one on display now for $CAN 299.00.
Apparently Home Hardware can special order them as well.
Onward Multi Corp is the distributor of Weber Products in Canada you can contact them and maybe they can tell you who else handles WSM's in your area. PH 1-800-265-2150 e-mail info@omcbbq.com
You also might want to consider using the amazon.com link from this site if you decide to purchase a WSM. With the Canadian Dollar doing so well lately it may be worth while, plus you will help support this site. If you get one make sure to order the charcoal chimney at the same time.

Chuck

Morning Chris !

That's welcome news ! thanks much.

Darn, I had my settings set to send me an email when somebody replied to my post, but nothing ever came in, glad I logged onto the site to check it out.

I would love to order from Amazon, but the darn border charges you inport taxes, I guess alsos called duties, and then they charge you the 15% for their "lost revenu" in Canada. For those who don't know, us Canadians pay 15% on all items, no matter what they are ( excluding food ). I will check into it though Chris, just to see if it would be about the same amount then I would order it thru Amazon. On $300 I know they will charge about $75 duty at the border.

Anyway amazing stuff. How do you like your Weber Smokey Mountain smoker ?

I have one hesitation, - the amount of smoke they emit... I'm in a heavy populated suburb, and I have neighbours on each side of me, and houses all around me. Does the smoker put out amazing amounts of smoke, so that neighbours would complain ?.... perhaps a crazy question, but I am a person that thinks about things like, once you tick a neighour off, it seems things are never the same again.

anyway I am hoping that smokers don't put off smoke like a house is burning down hehehe.

I mainly want to smoke pork ribs I buy at Costco, and a friend of mine ( Ted Reader, from King of the Q) has told me to get ribs from the butcher as the ribs that Costco sells and other grocery stores around the area are not really good ribs, eventhough they are by far the most popular and the most available. He refers to them as a "Canadian sparerib" or a "sparerib strip" ... a lot of bone.... eventhough Costco sells them for top dollar.

anyway thanks for your info, and I invite anyone to post on my thread :-)

Mark.

Mark, you are probably going to have to special order your WSM. Here in Oregon, I could not find any store that carried Weber products (and there are several) that also carried the WSM. They could only special order it for me. I got mine off Amazon.com because it was about $10 cheaper than through Home Depot.

As for smoke, don't worry about it. My charcoal chimney produces more smoke when the charcoal is catching fire than the WSM does with chunks of wood in it. In fact, too much smoke coming out the top vent is a bad thing. (strong flavor on meat). Your neighbors won't get upset from the small amount of smoke, except if you don't invite them over to taste the heavenly smell emanating from your backyard!

As for ribs from Costco, I buy my ribs there and so do alot of folks on this website. If you have a good butcher and can get a good price, great, but if you are like most of us and don't, Costco is just fine. The only ribs or meat to watch out for is meat that is "enhanced" i.e. preinjected with flavorings, etc. That meat usually ends up tasting like ham regardless of the cut.

Hi Mark,

Dave is right about the smoke, nothing to worry about. I have neighbours all around and have never had a complaint.

The WSM is one of the best things I have ever purchased. I use it just about every week end from spring to fall and even venture out in the middle of winter on occasion. I rarely touch the gas grill any more ( or what most Canadians call their BBQ) especially since I added a
22-1/2" Weber Kettle.

There is so much info on this site and lots of great advice here on the forums that really makes the WSM easy to use. I hardly ever post because just about any question you could have has been covered here. Read and search and search and read or just ask someone will know.

As far as the ribs from Costco go. I buy lots of things there but not much fresh meat anymore. Not that it's not good it's just not a good deal IMHO.Plus the Costco's around here don't carry cuts like pork shoulders or briskets. If you get into this "hobby" you will want to find a good local butcher or meat packer and also watch the sales at your local grocery stores each week.

I have met Ted once and have a couple of his cook books. (I use his "Bone Dust" rub recipe)
He is good friends with my brother-in-law Luther Miller.

Chuck

Hi Dave, and hi Chuck.

was just responding when Chuck's post appeared so I guess I'll address it to both of you :-)

Anyway thanks so much for the info, much appreciated.

I have posted some images, that were originally posted for a question I posted on another forum ( barbecueforum.com ) but here's the link, I have a number of images and you can see the ribs they sell in my part of Canada at Costco, and ALL grocery stores.

Here is the link :
http://www.ottawa5star.com/bbqpix/

I really do need to find a butcher, as I want to try a better rib, so I can make ribs that look like these I found on the net, - looks like they are amazing.
These ribs on the link below are MUCH longer than the ones we can get here in Canada, I really do need a butcher, you won't find these ribs at Costco or any grocery store in the regular section.
http://www.ottawa5star.com/bbqpix/porkribs2.jpg

Hi Mark,

When you wrote to me asking about WSM sources in Canada, I checked Amazon.com. Their shipping page says, "outdoor living items can be shipped only to locations within the U.S."

I also checked Amazon.ca, the Canadian site, and they don't carry the WSM at all.

This is why I didn't mention Amazon as an option. I'd be interested to hear if Amazon.com will ship to Canada, despite what they say on their Web site.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I guess you know your way around Amazon.com I looked around on the shipping page for a good 10 mins and cannot find anything about the shipping to Canada or not shipping to Canada on outdoor stuff, but I'll also say you are 100% correct. Amazon.ca - not a great site, it's really too bad :-(

I hope somebody reads this that is in Canada and can hopefully give me an idea of where I can order one.

Anyway thanks again to anyone :-) and everyone .

Mark.

Hi Mark and welcome to the site.
Out here on the left coast there are lots of sources for WSM's but then it is the left coast after all... Any BBQ store that caries Weber grills can order you a bullet, they might not want to, but they can. Out here they are at Revy, Home Depot, Lumberland, most BBQ grill stores... If you still have problems I will ask my sponsor out here if he can help, I'm sure he would ship you one if you want to pay the shipping, but he also probably knows someone back east that carries them.
As for the rib thing -you are absolutely right, the ribs we get up here usually have all the loin scalped off 'em. It makes it real tough to compete against all those really meaty U.S. racks.(ribs I'm talkin') I have found some luck explaining to a local butcher what I want and they will try to help but sometimes the ribs are just more fatty and a lot more money. I'm usually left going thru every pack of ribs (sides and backs) to find the best packs.
HTH and let me know if you still need help getting a bullet.
Dave

Hi Dave,

would appeciate your help, after getting a positive answer on a dealer this morning for the Ottawa Ontario area, I just got a call from him saying that Weber in the States is backordered on the product for at least 4 weeks, I just have a feeling perhaps the hassle is not worth it for the distributor here :-(

I usually trust my gut feeling and the guy was king of trying to blow me off :-( oh boy.

Mark.

I find it hard to believe that with a big summer ahead that Weber is already or would be backordered for at least 4 weeks on that cooker. :-(

Update !

Well I ordered one !.... I called Weber or www.omcbbq.com ( Supposedly Weber for Canadians) and the woman who was super nice got a guy in Toronto, who has a store called "WordOfMouth-Jacques" .... anyway this is a guy that sells high end stuff in Toronto, has 3 stores, and buys all and everything Weber before summertime, and is usually the only one that actually has stuff in stock.... wow.

OMCBBQ.com told me the retail on the WSM was $329, a distributor in Ottawa was selling it for $299, and now I just paid $349.99 for it, after he took off $10 ...... pretty expensive I think.... but he has 'em in stock and will ship it tomorrow, and i may have it by Friday.

Oh well, I'll stop yapping now :-)

I guess I'm happy :-)
Oh I ordered a Weber chimney also, while I was at it.

Mark.

Well done Mark! You will really get alot of enjoyment out of your new toy. Don't feel too bad about the price, I could have got you one for $299 but the shipping and hassle would have put the price up there. The sting on the cost won't hurt nearly so bad after your first pulled pork sammich.
Dave

All you south of the (Canadian) border WSM fans take note: currently 349 CAD equals around 256 USD. Gotta give our northern neighbors credit for still wanting a WSM bad enough to pay the equivalent of 43% more for one than we do, and having to jump thru hoops to get one.

Thanks Doug and Dave :-)

you've made me feel much better :-)

I just hope the thing gets here in one piece and not bent.

The gentleman is shipping it with Canada Post, I hope they don't kick it too many times or throw it around before it gets here :-)

anyway I'm looking forward to it.

Now the thing is to find money each weekend for charcoal and for ribs... doing one smoke I guess could cost me about $5 in charcoal and $25 of ribs - yikes :-) going to need a second job hehehe.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back