WSM Low Temp Problems

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I recently moved from Louisiana to California and in the process sold my wood burner and bought a WSM. Due to availability/cost of wood and space limitations, this was a good decision. I like the WSM and have had good results. One problem that I have and cannot seem to solve is the inability to get the temperature high enough. Today, I am cooking 2 butts and started with a ring full of Kingsford, added a full Webber chimney of hot coals, and hot water in the water pan. They have been cooking for about one hour. With all vents open 100, the dome temp is 273 and the top grate temp is 224. I would like to use charcoal rather than lump to get the long burn times, if possible. By the way, the outside temp is about 63 with no wind. Any suggestions or ideas?

Hey Norm! (I've always wanted to say that.) Are you starting with HOT water in the water pan? In cool conditions I bring a full pot of water to boil on the stove. Of course, you could try going waterless. If you try either method, I guarantee that you will go over 300? on the dome temp.

Good luck,
Doug W

Norm,

If you're trying to get over 275*F measured at the lid, you'll have a hard time doing it with water in the pan. Try using just a little water or no water and you'll easily get to 325-350*F or higher.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks to everyone who gave a suggestion. I think that I just need to cook on the WSM several more times and learn it's characteristics. Sometimes I'm not as patient as I need to be. I am concerned about getting the butts finished in a reasonable amount of time. They are at 181 and 176 internal with grate temps of 242 and 212. Cooking on the WSM is much different from my wood burner. I'm still on the same load of charcoal after 10 1/2 hours and that nap this afternoon sure felt good. Again, Thanks to all.

Not really sure why you want to cook at higher temps, they sound fine. but if you want to get higher temps and still get a longer burn, think about using Kingsford for the main fuel but add lump from time to time on top to bump the temps up.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back