WSM/FireBoard 2 Drive/Pit Viper Fan/Ribs

ScottyB

TVWBB Member
I cooked pork ribs today using my WSM 18.5, FireBoard 2 Drive, Pit Viper Fan. I did the first two hours in the smoker at 250 and then wrapped in foil and put in the oven for another 90 minutes at 225. You can see from the graph of the first two hours how steady the temp was kept while I sat on my butt watching The
Queen's Gambit. The Orange trace is the cooker temp, and the Green is the %fan.
IMG-0432.jpgGambit.Ribs.jpg

Those ribs look awesome but why put them in the oven for an hour when you can put them in your smoker
After two hours, they get wrapped in foil so it doesn't matter to me where they cook. I can clean up outside, put away my gear, and let them finish in the oven. Less fuel as well.

How do you like the fireboard 2 drive?
I am using the FireBoard 2 Drive and Pit Viper fan. If you get a FireBoard 2 Drive that is working as it should it works very well and you can control it from wherever there is access to the internet or your phone/tablet. The temperature control is very accurate, Monitoring can be done on your phone, tablet, or computer. It can monitor 6 probes at a time. The only caveat is that FireBoard has production/Quality Control issues. I bought one directly from FireBoard in May. It took 4 units to get one that worked. The first one had a bad fan controller. The second one did not pair and had two different serial numbers, the third one had LCD issues. The fourth unit seems to be working fine, knock wood. I had to get the CEO involved to resolve the issue. He responds to email. It gives you a lot of bang for your buck but be prepared to have to deal with the possibility of receiving a unit that may need to be immediately replaced.

I am using the FireBoard 2 Drive and Pit Viper fan. If you get a FireBoard 2 Drive that is working as it should it works very well and you can control it from wherever there is access to the internet or your phone/tablet. The temperature control is very accurate, Monitoring can be done on your phone, tablet, or computer. It can monitor 6 probes at a time. The only caveat is that FireBoard has production/Quality Control issues. I bought one directly from FireBoard in May. It took 4 units to get one that worked. The first one had a bad fan controller. The second one did not pair and had two different serial numbers, the third one had LCD issues. The fourth unit seems to be working fine, knock wood. I had to get the CEO involved to resolve the issue. He responds to email. It gives you a lot of bang for your buck but be prepared to have to deal with the possibility of receiving a unit that may need to be immediately replaced.
Thanks. I have a cyberq wifi and am looking for another system for my wsm 18 I have been looking at the fireboard 2 drive for a while because I love the 6 probes. I'll take some time and think for sure.

Back