WSM EZ-Que

Russell Y

TVWBB All-Star
Rumor has it an EZ-que for the WSM is due out soon.

Do I -
Get a used 22.5" kettle and get the EZ-que for the kettle?
or
Wait and get an EZ-que for the WSM?

Some questions -
Can you get good smoke flavor in the kettle setup?
How would temperature control compare in each setup?

I guess third option would be to see if 22.5" WSM rumor comes true.

All of these too late for Father's Day wish list.

Pardon my dumbness, but what is an EZ-que?
A rotissiere perhaps, wouldn't think that a rotissiere would be of much use on a small unit like a WSM or this type of cooker. Just my .02 worth.

When googled, it came back with rotissires.

Keri, I also owe you a big THANKS for your baked bean recipe. I had to cut back on the cayenne a little, but it is now my favorite baked bean recipe, without question.

EZ-Que

EZ-Que is an rotisserie. It comes made for various grills and bbqs. They are better made than than the ones from weber.

For the 22.5 weber there is a ring that sits on top to hold the rotisserie. If they make the same for the WSM, in addition to the rotisserie, you could probably add another cooking grate.

Russell, my preference is to use the rotisserie on the kettle. I can cook at broader range of temps from "lower" to very hot temps, and the rotisserie adds to the versatility of that cooker. Also, when I cook in the wsm I tend to load it up to capasity....

As for smoke flavor in a kettle... yes you can get good smoke flavor from a kettle..... Unless there is a big change in how the rotisserie ring nests on to the WSM /kettle you are going to be required to fashion a gasket out of foil to make the ring more air tight if low temp cooking is in order. At higher temps (300 plus degrees) this is not an issue.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Gosh doggies, if I was going to add anything it would be another grill, especially at that price. Little to pricey for my blood. Thanks for the info, never know when ya might spot a used one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rotisserie cooking, or spit roasting, is one of the most popular ways to cook meat on a barbecue grill. As the rotisserie constantly turns the meat, the food self bastes in its own juices, rendering meats exceptionally tender and moist. Whole birds and fish, beef, lamb, veal and pork roasts, as well as ribs, are all excellent candidates for spit roasting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just another tool in a cooking arsenal

I love my EZ for the kettle. I also have their Hobo model. I think the WSM EZ is an interesting idea but would recommend getting the EZ for a kettle (and the used kettle) to answer your question.

Most rotiss'd foods are not low/slowed--I cook most things from ~325-450+ depending on the item. (I do, however, think it would be cool to low/slow rotis on the WSM. I'm simply suggesting a 22" ring/kettle arrangement first.)

Temp control on a kettle is a short learning curve if cooking 'normally', a bit longer if needing to maintain low temps (<300) for a long period.

Hmmm, unless they're going to come out with a new center piece ring (like they do for the kettles), I'd think the EZ-Que will be spaced too far from the heat source. Regardless, I have on ez-que for my kettle and one for my gasser. They work great and I really like the baskets. Finally, I'd think the small size (18") diameter of the WSM is going to be pretty limiting. I'd highly recommend getting an EZ-Que for the 22" kettle.

I do pretty much all my roasting on the kettle. I am really interested in the EZ-Que. I don't see myself getting one for the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shamus:
I've got an EZ-que question:

In this picture from their website, http://www.ezqueinc.com/IM001580.JPG

Is that contraption that they are using to hold the coals at the side of the charcoal grate commercially available?

thanks,

Shamus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've never seen EXACTLY that gedget before, but functionally it sure looks reminds me of weber charcoal rails

I did a brisket on the kettle last weekend. An 11 pounder took around 4.5 hours to cook by also foiling at 160 degrees and cooking at around 300 degrees.

The older kettle with the three - four hole bottom vents is preferred over the fin type.

The below info is for the fin type which I believe most people have.

I line up one bottom vent directly below where the charcoal will be and use foil tape to completely shut down this vent (The other two vents are used for air flow temp controls).

Use a grill with the folding side part which will allow you add charcoal as needed.

Add a charcoal separator. I use a home made one made of mesh iron. A home made version will allow you to make it so that it will hold charcoal from the bottom to the top grates. The ones Weber sells are too small and don't hold enough charcoal for longer cooks.

Cover the bottom grate with foil except for under the charcoal.

Add a water pan over the foil (bottom grate). This is optional but I believe it may help with moisture and helps with clean up. Optionally add foiled potatos around the water pan at this time.

Add charcoal ala Minion method.

This set up will force air directly under the charcoal.

Add your meat and set you fins to control temps. Wide open at first to get temps up, then shut them down as desired.

You should be able to control temps anywhere from 200+- to 300+- degrees.

The charcoal should last anywhere from 2-4 hours.

Good luck.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
Rumor has it an EZ-que for the WSM is due out soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Russell, do you have any more info on this? Have you been in touch with EZ-que directly?

Bill

I only know what I read on the boards and haven't seen anything new. I have changed course and have acquired a used one-touch gold 22.5 to use with their regular size EZ-que.

Back