WSM experiment...Short Ribs

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
So I've been on the lookout for some big meaty beef ribs to try on the wsm. But every butcher around here trims virtually ALL the meat off them (...to make boneless prime rib or rib eye steaks? am I correct?) Anyway, the beef ribs I see are all beef-free and more appropriate for the stock pot than the WSM.

So, at an Asian market today they had some untrimmed short ribs. Normally they they saw these across the bones into 1/4 inch thick slices to make Korean short ribs. But these had not seen the saw yet, and had some good meat coverage on them. They range from about 4-inches to 6-inches long in the rack.

So I got them and I'm gonna smoke them up tomorrow as if they were standard beef ribs.

Along with a rack of pork spares.

Anyone ever done this?

Suggestions are welcome.

Henry Joe,
I think I have a picture in my mind of what these ribs look like ... but, when they are done, could you post a photo? Sounds interesting. Let us know how they turn out as I've never thought to try cooking short ribs on the smoker.

I also cannot located any bone ins around here. Costco has them, but they are a flaken style which is not what I am looking for. I have a killer Korean marinade for them, which I end up using on steak, but have wanted to do thick, long, regular ribs with the big bone in it.

They used to carry them years ago, but for some reason, I think I would have to special request this particiular cut to the meat department at my local store. If you can post a picture of them, I'd love to take a look.

I wish I had read these two posts before we ate them. So sorry, no photos this time.

They turned out OK. I wasn't sure what to expect. They were really, really meaty. Perhaps too meaty, Which in theory doesn't sound possible....but when they pulled away from the ends of the bones the meat bunched up in the center and got really lumpy and thick. Like really thick. To the point where you couldn't eat it like a rib, you really did need a fork and knife.

Normally I braise short ribs in red wine in the oven, so the thickness isn't a problem and it's like pot roast, so you're using a fork and knife anyway.

The beef ribs I've had before, were longer, had less meat on them and were easier to eat. These, although tasty, were kinda unwieldy. For looks and user-friendliness, I would not have turned them in at a contest.

Flavor wise it was great. Good smokey flavor (hickory and apple). I'd even add a bit more rub, or just dust them with kosker salt before applying the rub. I just applied a light rub since I didn't anticipate the bulkiness of the end product.

Flavor wise they were great. Deep, rich beefy flavor. Like brisket on a stick. A brisket popsicle, if you will!

The Asian market where I got them has them on a regular basis. I'll take some photos raw, then after they're cooked so you guys can see. So I'll try again and do the photo thing, I promise.

I usually order short ribs when they are offered on a menu, and they are always served boneless. They are slow cooked and braised, which I love, but I also love the bone, and my dog loves them afterward.

I'm going to try the only standing meat market in town, which happens to be right down the street from me. I'm sure higher priced gourmet markets would have them, but this is not an expensive cut of meat, and don't want to pay a premium for it either. I'll see what I can dig up.

Back