WSM Cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Brown

I am a new WSM user and I have done several cooks with it. I know I need to clean the grates after every cook, but how often, and to what degree should I clean the rest of it? I spent a 1/2 hour cleaning all the smoke and other residue off, and didn't know if I was going overboard or what. Thanks in advance for the info.

My rule is, clean grates thoroughly of bits of food matter, and not really worry about simple smoke discoloration. But, as to the interior, if it sticks, leave it. If it flakes, brush it off before it falls on the food. If it causes an air leak or makes a vent stick, clean it off before it makes matters worse.

Doubtless you have read about the "new WSM syndrome", which states that a WSM that has yet to build up a layer of soot on the inside surfaces runs hotter until that heat-conducting soot layer coats the heat-reflecting porcelain enamel-coated interior. I'd say that observation has more to do with a new user's reluctance to really dial those bottom vents down to a state of barely-openness in order to achieve a target cooker temp.

I know I'm sounding sort of self-contradictory here, but I guess each person needs to clean theirs as much as they feel comfortable with or necessary-- just employ good sanitation practices on the grates in any event.

I never clean the inside of the smoker, that build up seasons the smoker and lets it "work" better. I just clean the grills and the water pan.

Bob

I agree with Doug. As for the grates, I scrape them while still warm. When thy have cooled I spray them with "greased Lightening" and spray with a hose. I occasionally wash the outside of my WSM w/soap and water.

Chach

I lower my grates in very hot water with washing-up liquid and brush them using "steel wool" (looks
like cotton waste, but made of steel).

They get like new after that treatment!

The WSM gets a treatment from the hose whenever I feel like it.

/Tomas

I put my grates on a heated up gas grill with the lid closed for a couple of minutes. Then I wad up a small piece of foil and rub all stuck on food particles right off.

Well, I take mine and soak them in very hot soapy water. Let them soak for a while and they clean up great. I always try to spray the grates with oil before each use. I know this helps because I forgot to do it one time and it was much harder to clean.

Ed

I've come up with a wonderful method to clean the grates. I found a heavy duty vinyl garbage can lid. It's round and about 24" in diameter. It also has a flat spot in the middle so it will lie flat on a counter top. I fill it with hot soapy water and soak both grates for several hours or overnight. Most of the crud just rinses away. What doesn't, I just hit with a Brillo pad.

So far I haven't messed with the interior, other than to rinse the inside of the lid. It looked like some flakes were about to come off. Rinsed it good and hit it with the Brillo pad and it's just like new.

If I'm done with my cook and still have hot coals left over I'll remove the water pan, open all the vents and let her run until she goes out. All I need to do then is brush the flakes off the interior and wipe down the grates.

I use the method I first recall seeing posted by Dave Lewis, but on this forum nothing seems "original". It involves simply putting the two cooking grates inside your gasser on high heat for about 15 min. When they cool down, just brush them off with a wire brush. They then maintain a lovely redish color which matches nicely with the butts or ribs you'll be cooking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

I place my grates and water pan in my wheel barrow and fill it with water until every thing is covered and let it soak until I get around to cleaning them off with a brush. The next time I cook, I wash them with soap & water before putting the meat on.
---------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I strap the grates to the hood of my car and go thru a car wash. Don't care about brown streaks on the car, its the grill that counts.

Maybe I'm weird, but I use oven cleaner. I usually forget to clean the grills the next day. So two weeks later when I remember, I start with a brass grill brush and scrape off the chunks. I then put the grates in a plastic garbage bag, spray them down with oven cleaner, close it up and lay it sun for a couple of hours. When I open it up, I hit it again with the brush and then wipe off with heavy duty paper towels. A quick wash in some hot soapy water to remove any residue. They still look shiny and new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back