WSM Cleaning 101

Good to see! I'm finally happy.
icon_smile.gif

Glad to see she's back! I never woulda believed it. Yet another reason to join the forum. You are the Chuck Yeager of grillin! You pushed the envelope and came back safe. Press on brother!
icon_biggrin.gif

Ah - Mine looked pretty similar before last weekend. I hadn't used it since Memorial Day weekend and had also been too lazy to clean it out in a timely manner after that weekend's cook. I took the same approach to cleaning it out - a whole bag of Kingsford and quite a few big chunks of smoke wood to burn everything off, then I hit it with a mixture of bleach, soap, water, and a bit of elbow grease. I didn't bother cleaning the grates though, just sprung for two new ones from the local Ace. Now she's good as new.

I guess I have to confess to. I normally leave mine in the garage but erlier this spring I left it outside with grease in the water pan. We had a really hard rain that afternoon and I just moved it close to the house. Well I did not use it for another month or so and when I went to use it the wsm had white mold in it. I used some oven cleaner and a plastic bondo spreader to clean mine. Followed by a 4 hr 350* burn. That was the sadest day of my summer!

Wow, I would have never known that the heat method could be that effective. Well done! Any tips on keeping it clean to avoid that? I keep mine outside with the cover on it. As it approaches "rainy season" (yeah, sure, I'll believe rain when I see it) I'll put it under the overhang. Do most folks keep there's outside or in the garage? Do most people wipe down after every use and/or apply Pam? So far I'm guilty of taking no cleaning efforts.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim L.:
Wow, I would have never known that the heat method could be that effective. Well done! Any tips on keeping it clean to avoid that? I keep mine outside with the cover on it. As it approaches "rainy season" (yeah, sure, I'll believe rain when I see it) I'll put it under the overhang. Do most folks keep there's outside or in the garage? Do most people wipe down after every use and/or apply Pam? So far I'm guilty of taking no cleaning efforts.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought my smoker last September then hit the worst winter I've seen in my adult life. I kept it outside all winter long under an overhang that just covers my smoker. Granted I used it quite often last winter, and will again this winter, I'm sure.

When I first started using my smoker, I was pretty nuts about keeping it clean - I have a tall tub dish washer and was able to fit the body in it, then a second round with the lid & grates. However, I know better now - the more you use it, the better it seals up/heat control.

No water - use clay pot - absolutely zero time to clean up. Lift foil, and throw away - about 10 seconds compared to finding a place to dump the water so my dog doesn't try to eat the dirt I dump it in, scrubbing the bowl, re-foiling the bowl, just yuck. (I use about half the fuel I did when I was using water - easily get 18 hours on a full ring now)

It has been a great spring/summer this year for learning - all from this site and its knowledgeable members!

I suggest using it a few times a month in the winter, that will keep it clean.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
She's all clean and purdy now! Gotta 8lb brisket that I'm gonna cook tomorrow, but might just do it on the kettle.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, Larry, Larry. Throw that Brisket on the WSM. I know the two of you have had a falling out of sorts but isnt it time to make up? Nothing like falling in love all over again!

I got mine nice and moldy once. A mild detergent and a water hose took care of the bulk of the grime and the fire sterilized the cooker.

Back