WSM as a grill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Gorman

After 20+ years cooking on a Weber kettle and an owner of the WSM for three years. I looked at the two and found WSM does double duity as a grill very well. Small for a large party but great for a dinner of three to four. Anyone else using the WSM as a grill?

Hi,
I haven't tried it yet, but last year I read about temporarily modifying the WSM for grilling. You get a spare charcoal grate from the 22-1/2" Kettle (17" grate I believe)....then you put that spare charcoal grate in place of the lower cooking rack. Then, you put the charcoal ring on this charcoal grate which puts the coals much closer to the top cooking grate. Excellent heat for crispy steaks and chicken etc. I bought a couple spare charcoal grates at Wal-Mart a while back just for this method.

Another option for grilling on the WSM is this one that I discovered by accident or out of necessity. I was low on charcoal and needed to grill some kabobs. I was done using the WSM, but the fire wasn't out.

I discovered that the cooking grate will fit and rest on the top of the nuts that secure the legs to the base of the WSM. You can leave the charcoal ring in for more stability or remove it. (Since discovering this, I have since put an extra nut/tap on each of the top three bolts for more stability.)

The distance between the cooking grate is comparable to the kettle, the base will help reflect the heat better for higher cooking temperatures. And if you have a small kettle, the kettle lid will fit the base and it is just like cooking on a small kettle.

If I have quite a bit of charcoal left burning after a cook on my WSM I will remove the mid-section and seal the base with the kettle lid. I have found the charcoal extinguishes faster by using this method. (But in my case, that is because I have a leak in my WSM that I still cannot find.)

Beers to all,

Juggy D Beerman

Not as a grill per se, but when I'm done cooking and have fuel still burning, I'll remove the middle section and put my cooking grates on top of the fire and let the crud burn off. Hit 'em with the wire brush and DONE!

Steve Wilson....You are brilliant....Why didn't I think of that!! I have spare ribs and a brisket on now and will clean up your way this evening....Thanks again...Jim Mackey

The clean up went good, way better than the cook. Wasn't supposed to snow today but it did, and it made it difficult to get the dome temperature up. Then the snow would knock it down 40 degrees. 5 hours went by, the snow quit, the temperature went up and I had a hard time keeping it down. Geez, one extreme to the other, but we had ribs and brisket both for supper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back