wsm arrived...

Thomas Hall

Katie Mae (as I will call her) arrived today. She is not perfect but I think she will work. I don't have time to cook tonight but I probably will tomorrow as I just can't wait to try the wsm out. It should be a beautiful day here, and I may just have to 'work' from home.

Anyway, the middle cooking section was bent in one area with some chipping, but it went into the bottom section pretty well and air tight I think. The door doesn't sit flush but I bent that with my hands and it is a whole lot better now. Its not airtight or anything though .... is it supposed to be? I have noticed tape on some of the pohotos that people have posted so I am assuming not. The biggest potential issue is one of the bottom vent closures is pretty badly bent. I have worked on it, and its better but it still isn't like the other two, which close and sit nice and tight. I figure that I will almost always need some airflow from the bottom so that will be the one that can have a crack. If it doesn't work I will ask for another one from Weber.

The only wood chunks I can find locally are hickory and mesquiet so I have ordered some white oak, cheery and apple. I don't think I can wait though so I may just have to try her out with hickory.

I will let you know how it goes!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thomas Hall:
Anyway, the middle cooking section was bent in one area with some chipping, but it went into the bottom section pretty well and air tight I think. The door doesn't sit flush but I bent that with my hands and it is a whole lot better now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats on the WSM. I am sure you will love it. I have to ask though, did you purchase this new? If mine was to arrive with chipping and out of round I would be on the phone to Weber asking for a replacement. If you purchased it used, thats cool. All WSM's will show some battle wounds eventually.
Happy smoking!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i did buy it new ... i just feel like i have read a lot of stories about poor condition upon arrival. maybe i will call weber. i should at least give them some feedback ... they need to start shipping these with better packaging. i am sure ups could have done a better job as well.

Thomas, I highly recommend that you do as Steve suggested and call Weber. Their customer service is excellent and they will ship you replacement parts without a hassle. It sounds like you have a fair amount of damage and you do not have to live with it.

Tom I bought mine at a store got it home and the bottom section was so dented I couldn't put it together. Thank god the place I bought just took another bottom replaced it for me. Trust me get it perfect. Good Luck with your first cook!!!!!

weber has the best customer service that I have ever dealt with. Give them a call and they will replace it for you.

Tom
Give Weber a call. Mine was out of round and they sent me the charcoal pan and the center within a couple of days. They are the best customer service group of any that I have ever dealt with.
Mike

I got mine , and I love it. how ever the vents on the charcoal bowl were in rough shape . I called weber, they said they will send me new vents to install. nothing for nothing , but I did not buy a weber for 200 dollars so I can work on it before I even use it . I got no help from customer service. I told them I did not feel like I can drill out the old vents and install new ones correct. also I am not a grill tech. when I get paid to paint some ones house. I dont tell them to paint some of the spots I might miss them selfs and still pay me to do the job. sorry for the vent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AL. T:
I got no help from customer service. I told them I did not feel like I can drill out the old vents and install new ones correct. also I am not a grill tech. when I get paid to paint some ones house. I dont tell them to paint some of the spots I might miss them selfs and still pay me to do the job. sorry for the vent </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair, you're not shipping the house after you paint it. Anyway, why would you have to drill out the old vents? I thought they were held in with a screw, washer and nut.

My center ring was out of round so I called weber. I told them where and when I bought it, gave them my address and a new one is on its way. It really doesn't get any easier than that. At least I didn't have to ship it back to them or take it to some sort of factory authorized service center.

I agree with the above. Great customer service. I have a middle section out of round. Would not cool unless foil the seam. New center section arrived right on schedule. Instead of top out of round now bottom worse than top. See my post below(I have a leak) for the measurements. Will see this weekend if bottom out of round ok. Weber will send me another. Cannot ask for better service.

I have a leak

maybe I just got some one in a bad mood that day. my vents are not put on with nuts and bolts. I have wire and foil around them and on them to make them tighter. seems to work well. like I said , I love the cooker, just wanted it to be in like new shape , not need modifications on a simple vent. maybe I will call them back

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdaniels:
Anyway, why would you have to drill out the old vents? I thought they were held in with a screw, washer and nut. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Replacement vents come with screws & nuts. Original factory vents are installed with rivets, and they have to be drilled out to remove them.

Back