WSM and a E-Z Que Cradle!

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
It's been quite a while since I've posted here (KK where are my peppers,
icon_wink.gif
?) but I figured this requires a posting.

As you know, the E-Z Que Cradle (the excellent rotisserie) can be used with several Weber products (gas grills, Kettle), but not the WSM.

I spoke with John, the owner of E-Z Que, today and discussed the possibility of creating an E-Z Que rotis for the Weber Smokey Mountain. He is going to seriously consider it and thinks it is very do-able.

But, are you interested in an E-Z Que cradle for the WSM? I think it would be great! Please respond so we can let John know there is an interest.
http://ezqueinc.com

Chris, I don't know if this is the right forum for this topic. Move if necessary.

Yum yum, eat 'em up.

Wow. I thought the hurricanes might have blown you away. I e'd you some time ago--I lost your mailing address--as I have peppers for you but never heard back. Good to see you here. Shoot me an email when you have a minute.

A cradle is a great idea. Might be interesting if it was a deep cradle---large enough to hold a large butt or smaller turkey--but, perhaps, with a narrower ring. This would necessitate upper grate removal but the meat would be cook closer to the fuel, right around the same level as the grate. I'll definitely send John an e.

Good 'seeing' you, Richard.

I think having a rotisserie for the WSM would be wonderful and if it was made by EZ Que, even better! I know some of the people here use the EZ Que rotis on their Weber Kettle and love it. So, if you're interested in getting an EZ Que for your WSM, let John at EZ-Que know of your interest in buying such a product - or post here. I think it would fit onto the WSM much like onto the Kettle via an add-on height-extending ring which you would cover with the WSM lid.

John, the owner of EZ-Que, expressed an interest in building a prototype. Should not be difficult. He said he would have Weber ship him a WSM to use in development.

Man, I do hope it goes into production because it would make the WSM even better (if you can imagine such a thing).

I ordered a 6" EZ-Que rotis today for my Weber gasser. I'll be able to run the rotis using a generator during extended power outages
icon_cool.gif

Will email you now, Kevin.

I think it's an excellent idea and I hope John will pursue it. I'm thinking a smaller (in height) ring so that the meat is not too much farther from the fuel as it is now--possibly a bit closer if the cradle had a large circumference and the cooking grate thus had to be removed (like one does with the 8-inch on a kettle). It would seem that it would then cook with the center of the meat just a little higher than the grate level now. Regardless, I'd like to see what he comes up with.

Here's hoping!

Richard

That's a great idea and I'll send an e-mail supporting it. I have the combo for the kettle and it is a high quality and excellent product.

I see you're from the "Fl panhandle". From the big fish you're in your photo, I would guess Destin, PC, et.al. I'm in Milton.

Paul

Paul - across the bay from Destin by Paquito Bayou. That fish is a king salmon taken in Sitka, Alaska.

Didn't there used to be a bbq place by a bridge in Milton? For good bbq around here, I eat at home.
icon_smile.gif

Richard

Richard

Guess I should have looked closer at the fish. The resturant you refer to is "Reggie's". I suspect the Q you prepare is much superior. However, they do have good, home cooked vegetables.

Paul

It just dawned on me that you would not be able to use the BBQ Guru on a WSM (or any cooker) with a rotisserie. I love using the BBQ Guru with its set-it-and-forget-it ability. Guess I'd have to learn to cook without the Guru.

Paul, yes, I enjoyed the meal at Reggie's with Dr. Bense and our BBQ club.

Richard

Originally posted by Richard Batey:
It just dawned on me that you would not be able to use the BBQ Guru on a WSM (or any cooker) with a rotisserie. I love using the BBQ Guru with its set-it-and-forget-it ability. Guess I'd have to learn to cook without the Guru.
Why could you not use the Guru?

All they would have to do is make a smaller version of their 22" kettle model (see the link it the original message and scroll down). Then it's still sealed and you get the rotisserie action to boot. If they made a round basket option you could almost get the full 18" width as well!

Have I missed something here?

David - yes, the EZ-Que would probably just be a smaller version of the 22" kettle model and would be wonderful, I think.

But, when you factor in a rotisserie with the WSM AND a BBQ Guru, here's the rub:

The BBQ Guru has two wires running from its external controller into the WSM - one wire/probe is inserted into the meat to measure internal temperature and the other attaches at the grill to measure grill temp.

The latter wire could be mounted somewhere independent of the rotis to get the temp at the grill height but the probe going into the meat would spin around for hours and probably get exceedingly twisted.

I guess you could run the Guru without the meat probe and just use its fan control.

Or have I missed something?
icon_confused.gif

Richard

Richard/Paul - I am in Niceville ... we should get together for a cold drink sometime .. i don't know anyone else personnaly that uses a wsm.

tt

Tom

Sounds like a good idea. I'm just a country lawyer living on a couple of hundred acres north of Milton. Even have my own goat farm - the land, not the goats on it. Maybe we can plan a get together over this way in the late Spring. I really don't know anyone in this area that uses a WSM, but I do know several people that love the food that comes off mine.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Brian - if the diameter on the smaller kettle is the same as the WSM, I see no reason why it would not work. Hopefully EZ-Que will build some.

Tom & Paul - late Spring sounds good. Your place, Paul . . . we can slow cook a goat.
icon_smile.gif
A couple hundred acres north of Milton sounds mighty fine to me. Let me know when you might want to sell a few.
icon_wink.gif

I don't know anyone who uses a WSM (except you guys) around here either, but I do know there are whole hog cookers in these parts. A while back I got invited to a high school graduation party for the son of a guy who is a tenant of a relative of mine. The father of the high schooler cooked a whole hog (about 90 + lbs) & it was stretched out on a big table, head and all. I was impressed. How many kids would want a whole hog bbq'ed for their graduation party? This was in Crestview which is until recently was more country than not. I volunteered to help pull the carcass. What a treat.

Richard

I have an Aunt that lives in Milton .. she used to have a farm in Allentown when I was a kid, her son lives on that property now.

Spring sounds good, I hate winter haha.

tt

Back