WSM 22 Newbie

James Stephens

Hello all,

I recently purchased a WSM 22. I've read through some the post on this site and enjoy the help and knowledge a lot of you have with these.

My problem maybe just something dialed in right, but here goes. I filled the ring with K blue and wood, filled water pan 1/2 way, waited till temp got to 280-290.

I then put two butts on the bottom rack and a packer on the top. All seemed well but into the burn about 2 hrs. I noticed the temps dropping with all vents still wide open and plenty of coals. I really couldn't seem to get the temps back to the 300 range. any input/help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you burnt up all your coals. Once the ring is packed tight dump 1/2 a chimney of lit on top in the middle. Put your main body section on, let it run for about 5-10 minutes, then put HOT water in your water pan, put the lid on with the top damper open 100%. As soon as the lid therm hits 200° damp down two of the bottom dampers 100%, and the third one down to about 50%. You should even out between 220-250, and it should run that way for 16+ hrs., unless there is high wind or sub 40° temperatures. Also keep the lid on and the door shut as much as possible, lump wants to take of fast as soon as it gets a big gulp of fresh air.

Gerd, I was up to 300 when I started the fire then a couple hours later it stayed right at 230-250. Needed my temp at 300. When I started the fire the temp outside was about 60 then got up to mid 80's during the day.

Todd, I still had plenty of coals, started with a 20lb bag. I did have two butts and a brisket on there.

I did another run today with just a butt and was able to keep a more watchful eye
icon_wink.gif
on it just I've maintained about a 300* fire on about 10lbs of K blue today. Thanks for the info.

James Stephens wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was up to 300 when I started the fire then a couple hours later it stayed right at 230-250. Needed my temp at 300. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to stay around 300 degrees, I would leave the water pan empty. Just foil both sides of the empty water pan. Water in the pan will work as a heat sink and help temps recover quicker when you open the smoker, keeping temps more stable, but it also makes it more difficult to reach those higher temps.

Thanks everyone, I did another run with a butt without water. I had about 10#'s of K blue in it with some wood chunks and was able to keep my temp at 300. The butt turned out great.

Like Ed has said, water acts as a heat sink. Also, you were doing two butts and a packer...more meat is a heat sink also.

I can't speak from blue K because I use lump when I smoke but I fill the ring, wood chunks and half a chimney starter. Once I dump the starter I put the middle section on and put the meat right on. I don't wait.

Back