WSM 22.5 table

John Case

TVWBB Member
I've been looking to build a table to hold both the One Touch Gold 22.5 & the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Driving around last week with the family I saw a large flat piece of maple and some other stuff on the side of the road with a free sign. I said to the wife I could use the big piece of wood for a grilling station.
A couple of days later I went back with the truck... It was a maple topped drafting table all disassembled, it came with 2 tops. I picked the nicer to refinish. Still have the other top.

I stripped it, cut out 2, 26" holes, screwed it down as it was on a hinge to incline for drafting. The metal top that would have been been under the drafting table fit perfectly as a back.
3 coats of exterior semi-gloss poly. Added wheels.

I plan to put some drawers down the center in the future. Maybe close in the sides and or the front. And may make a lid with a sliding top like a roll top desk has to protect it from the weather when not being used.

I have some questions I was hoping the combined wisdom of all of you could help me with.

Right now in the pictures, the handles from the Kettle have been removed and it's just sitting on the top.
How would you mount it down? I'm thinking just drill a hole down through the top and put a 90 degree bolt?

The height of the WSM without the top will allow it to slide completely out from under the table. It has gliders under the legs, not wheels.
Should I put wheels on it? If I do, unless I get low profile wheels it will not slide out from under the table.

Please give me any suggestions you may have from your own experience of what you'v e seen around.

Thanks,
John

i-5ZbDBP3-X2.jpg

i-b992Fds-X2.jpg

i-ffLQj3k-X2.jpg

i-cmVdTmz-X2.jpg

Picture to show the clearance/height of the WSM from under the table
i-LwncCLs-X2.jpg

Thats cool. I would put the WSM a little more up so u can get to the top rack easy.
Looks great man.

Peter

Thats cool. I would put the WSM a little more up so u can get to the top rack easy.
Looks great man.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I was given a suggestion which I like... put drawer sliders on the deck raising up the smoker a little but still with clearance to be able to slide the smoker out from under the table.
I'm considering that, or maybe wheels on the smoker if I can get low profile wheels that will allow it to clear to slide out.

that is REALLY nice! and free , too. unbeatable! is that top going to stand up to the weather , or will you cover it ? I see that you used 3 coats of exterior poly , but.....you know? sun and rain and snow?

Back