WSM 22.5 PID Settings

BigDave

Did a long and mostly fruitless search for some PID settings to use as a starting point now that I have my HeaterMeter and fan setup working.

Anyone have suggestions for a 22.5 WSM with a fan and simple flap damper (no servo damper)?

TIA.

-Dave

It has been a couple years since I used my Heatermeter with my 22 inch WSM (I have a BGE now) but I had great success with the WSM (and BGE) using stock PID. I had a fan with a gravity damper when using the WSM just like you describe.
I think, if I remember correctly, I used about half a chimney of lit coals to get things started. You should get an awesome straight line at desired temp with that setup. Enjoy!

these are my settings
B=0; P=4; I=0.02; D=5
Fan pulse; min 0%; max 30%; max at startup
Servo 700 - 2110

Dan - You remember if you left the top vent wide open and did you use the minion method to light the charcoal?

Dave - Not sure how much the servo damper you use changes things compared to my gravity damper.

-Dave

Dan - You remember if you left the top vent wide open and did you use the minion method to light the charcoal?

I am pretty sure I didn't have it full open, maybe half. I did a minion but not a fancy one. Just filled up the charcoal ring then spread a half chimney of lit over the top.

Also, I always used the water pan with water. As I am sure you know, a lot of people use a ceramic pan dry with success. I just never tried it.

Well last night's test run cook with sausage was a disaster. I am starting another test cook now with more fuel and no water pan to see how things go. I am using a bowl of water as a heatsink to simulate food. I am going with:

P=4
I=0.015
D=5
On Above: 8%
Min: 0%
Max: 60%
Startup Max: 77%

I've got the top vent open halfway to start.

We will see how it goes.

UPDATE: Looks pretty good so far. Probably could be better, but +/- 5 deg won't make much of a difference and I am about +/- 2.5 deg.
y4mLhy3rYjXap9P2iUc65AzDz4db5joCvoeaJVQAYQcm6A_9mc2kSUomeXbqAih30OggRwB--yzhr8VFw6aIBv_2BqL6K2uQYEhuhv3-FsWc3ycoFHQhee2RHeOF1rIJrxCKvaM0F-DHl_jy5OwxXi8bs4hkQk4wbfdjTOGAA3pnVF-OocKwTYh7Jdqax8Co2dWrUO3fUDf5z_plc6vdx1UjA

-Dave

Last edited:
Don't skimp on the fuel, I think you are on the right track there. Set it up as if you are doing a 12 hour brisket every time. The unused coals will just be used next time. Also don't skimp on the lit coals you add, make sure it is at least half a Weber chimney. Most people need to use a full lit chimney and the door propped open just to get much above 300. I assumed you are looking to keep 225 to 250, that is always what I used the WSM for. If you don't give it some fire to work with the graph will look like the Grand Teton's. As long as your WSM and fan are fairly air tight it should work great. Good luck!

Thanks Dan.

I already updated my last post and thinks look pretty good. My smoker is tight. I have gasket on the door and lid. I used a mostly full basket and lit about 15 coals using minion method. I made it to 270 in about 30 minutes and have been +/- 2.5 deg ever since. Probably could be better, but my brisket won't care and that is way closer than when I did it manually.
y4mLhy3rYjXap9P2iUc65AzDz4db5joCvoeaJVQAYQcm6A_9mc2kSUomeXbqAih30OggRwB--yzhr8VFw6aIBv_2BqL6K2uQYEhuhv3-FsWc3ycoFHQhee2RHeOF1rIJrxCKvaM0F-DHl_jy5OwxXi8bs4hkQk4wbfdjTOGAA3pnVF-OocKwTYh7Jdqax8Co2dWrUO3fUDf5z_plc6vdx1UjA

Last edited:
I just dropped it to 250 to see how it handled the lower set point and it looks good.

Now if I can just figure out why the time won't update via the NTP server. It's not 12:41 AM right now in the DFW area. LOL

One thing to consider by not using an automatic damper is a runaway fire. When I used just the blower on my 18" WSM I often found the fire got too hot (usually after taking the lid off and spritzing or by taking the door off to adjust the fire) and was pulling air in via convection from the completely stationary blower. In those situations there was no way to damp down the fire and I had to manually shut down the lower vent to get things back under control. This often happened at 3:00 AM on a brisket low and slow cook and was the reason I ultimately went to a blower+damper configuration.

Back