WSM 18 upper grate mod

C Lewis

Closed Account
I was in my local Ace a while back, and spotted a Pit Barrel Cooker grate, that looked like it might fit my 18. It had a hinged section that I thought would be handy when fishing probes through the probe port, and to access the food on the lower grate. I took it home, and sure enough, it fits very well.

20210614_083509.jpg
20210614_083527.jpg

I thought that I would post this here for anyone that might be considering it. I think that in the PBC, it's meant to be used upside down from where I have it, more to be able to have a half rack and still access hanging items. I've not used it that way in the WSM, but I imagine that it would work well like that too. I found it most beneficial in allowing access to baste, temp, or spritz the items on the lower rack, provided that you can move the upper rack items over to open the door. Much easier than lifting the rack out with all of the food on it. Although it's not in these pics, I usually leave a probe clip on the top rack, it also works well as a handle for the hinged area. Hope this helps.

Charlie

This is a great idea! I was just looking around for ideas of where to put the top rack when needing to baste, flip, etc. food on the bottom rack. Thanks for the photo.
No problem, glad to be of help. I had two pork butts on last week, and was able to raise the hinge section enough, even with the top butt partial on top of it, to spritz the butt below on the second rack. It worked very well.

Charlie

Back