WSM 18" long cooks

I like the Enrico Brandizzi/Harry Soo hybrid that I’ve been using since I thought the can method was rather more time consuming, hands on fussiness.
I refer to it as a “Sidewinder method” lay your smoke media on the bottom, fill the ring to maximum capacity, assemble (No water for me) remove access hatch three minutes with a propane torch and close things up, wait a few minutes, open, add racks of ribs, butts, brisket, whatever, close it up and go to bed! Well, not necessarily but, it’s really the KISS method for me, light it back the back two vents to half wait an hour double check temp, tweak if necessary. Have a beverage and enjoy the day or night.
The thing that really amazes me is how often people seem to think that they need to “check it and see how it’s doing”! NO, No. No! The old saying “If you’re looking, you’re not cooking.” Is so true, Ron Popiel said it best…”Set it and …forget it!”
I don’t have any real modifications on my 18” I don’t see the need. I am goi g to install a lid hinge and bottom brackets for easier moving but, grease makes a pretty fair gasket on these things and as far as ATC? Nope, don’t need one more thing to obsess over. Keep It Simple Silly!
It’s working for me quite well.
P.S. I’ve gotten any number of 20 hour cooks with only the addition of maybe 18 briquettes. YMMV

Back